• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Why it doesn't sound professional?

Share/Bookmark

Why it doesn't sound professional?

Hello everybody!
    I started remixing my old piece, spent several months and ended up with almost exact version.
    I need your fresh ears. I'm sure you can catch what's wrong with the mix (or me ).
    I don't own Mark II, D6, and can't hire real sax, guitars or drums. Is this the reason it sounds so fake?
    Roland XP-60 and Akai S5000 were used.
    If you have time for 7 minutes, it's here

Thank you in advance (will be hitting that F5 every minute ).
    please...
    sfiks

Re: Why it doesn't sound professional?

I listened to the 45 second version. There is nothing wrong with the song except that a person can easily tell that the guitars and saxaphone don't sound real.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Hines
    I listened to the 45 second version. There is nothing wrong with the song except that a person can easily tell that the guitars and saxaphone don't sound real.
    Yeah, the saxes are a dead givaway.
    I'm sure there are some great sax sample libraries out there........somewhere.
    Just take a look around. Your bound to find something that works for your ears and budget.

Chris

I was under the impression that Sax is one of the most difficult instruments out there to program with samples.....
    Some experts learn more and more about less and less, until at last they know everything there is about nothing at all.

It sounds very stiff, like everything is way too quantized. You might consider loosening it up a bit. I also thought that the electric piano was very loud in the mix.

Lastly, I really don't understand why people who don't have a particularly good sample of an instrument insist in writing music for that instrument. If you don't have a good sax (and I have some news for you....nobody does!) then don't write music with sax in it if you want it to sound realistic. Simple, problem solved! Why don't you use another sound instead of sax? Perhaps another interesting lead synth? Or even a piano?
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by midphase
    It sounds very stiff, like everything is way too quantized. You might consider loosening it up a bit. I also thought that the electric piano was very loud in the mix.

Lastly, I really don't understand why people who don't have a particularly good sample of an instrument insist in writing music for that instrument. If you don't have a good sax (and I have some news for you....nobody does!) then don't write music with sax in it if you want it to sound realistic. Simple, problem solved! Why don't you use another sound instead of sax? Perhaps another interesting lead synth? Or even a piano?

Midphase,

there are times that a certain sample and also being that particular instrument fits the bill just right. Certainly it is easier to take another sample that is more authentic in sound having terrific articulation patches and applying them to seqencing software. The reality decided is whether it captures the moment in the arranger's subjective reality.

If I had demo something for the sake of the product and a good old alto would be somewhat convincing and needed for that score, (not nearly perfect) I'd use a sample that would be considered not looped. (most keyboard synths use loops in their samples)

The saxes remain are a huge challenge in this virtual community and one needs the right Jazz Musician to offer their sound and of course spend countless hours with a dedicated sound developer playing each note SO many ways. The question is, which reed musician has the patience to assist here.

Alan Russell
    Please Visit My New & Revised Official Website Below

http://AlanRussell-Music.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alewis
    I was under the impression that Sax is one of the most difficult instruments out there to program with samples.....
    Well, what do I know?
    I've never wanted a sax in my orchestra so I never bothered researching them.

Chris

If you need sax, a new plugin, Saxlab have just been released. Might be worth checking out.

Saxlab demos pretty much suck, IMHO - but there is a free demo DL, my favorite kind - every minute or so a sound is emitted, but if you play/record the part 2 or 3 times, you can comp the parts together to create the section. Not legal for commercial use, I'm sure, but you can try it in depth before purchasing, something which is in short supply in the sample community (unlike the VI community.)
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

I play sax and keys in both live and studio situations, and I really feel like sax is one of the hardest instruments to sample and have it sound like the real deal. It's really hard to emulate all the personality the player brings to the instrument- bends, slides, vibrato, tonal changes at the drop of a hat, ghosted notes, growls, etc. I've heard sax libs that tonally can come pretty close but wind up sounding too static to fool anyone IMHO.

Go Back to forum