• Register
  • Help

Topic: MIDI pedal--how to accomodate piano and string sections?

Share/Bookmark

MIDI pedal--how to accommodate piano and string sections?

Since every instance of GPO in a MIDI file uses the same MIDI pedal setting, how can I combine a piano (with sustain pedal function) with string sections (with the legato function, no sustain) in the same MIDI file? I'm using SONAR, if that matters.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Maybe I missed something in the GPO manual...?

Re: MIDI pedal--how to accomodate piano and string sections?

The most hassel free way is to simply record the piano to audio, and let the other instruments "fly in live"

dpDan

My suggestion is to make a copy of the VST plugin, rename it, and register both it and the original in Sonar's plugin manager. Use one for sustain (piano et al) and one for legato & bowing (winds/strings). I name the second instance "GPO Legato," and set the pedal switch accordingly.

I used to use the DXI version for sustained, and the VST for legato, but the DXI version has a bug in Sonar that causes notes to not release properly if sustained over tempo changes.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

I thought that the bug with the tempo changes with DXi was fixed.... I dunno, I don't have any problems with the DXi and tempo changes. Whenever I load up a GPO piano i always do it in the full version of Kontakt just to avoid the problem. But I have tried the using DXi and VSTi at the same time and that works as well.
    Tim

As far as I know, it's still a bug with the DXI version of the GPO Player. I should probably revisit using the full version of Kontakt, since I actually own it.
    - Jamie Kowalski

Yes, the bug still exists unfortunately, even in SONAR 4. I've tried using the VST plugin, but when I go to edit controllers in SONAR, the list of controllers (for example, CC1: Modulation) is completely blank. I've tried and tried to import a controller definition file for use with the VST, to no avail.

I'll give the VST-renaming trick a try...good idea! Freezing the piano trick works, but you lose the ability to edit the track unless you unfreeze, edit, change MIDI pedal option and refreeze.

If you're patient enough, I could write an MFX plugin to interpret Hold Pedal information in its own buffer so that it acts like a normal pedal for purposes of Piano playing in GPO.

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Actually, the bug seems to be with ANY DXI instrument in Sonar, so using Kontakt doesn't help in my case.

I'm back to using multiple instances if VST GPO. I don't think Kontakt can be used as a VST (or I'm missing something.)
    - Jamie Kowalski

Quote Originally Posted by Markleford
    If you're patient enough, I could write an MFX plugin to interpret Hold Pedal information in its own buffer so that it acts like a normal pedal for purposes of Piano playing in GPO.

- m
    Thanks Markleford, that would be great. Brilliant workaround.

In the meantimes, Skysaw's suggestion is the best solution.

Gary Garritan

Okay, I tried to make this happen tonight and built it as a new mode into my old TenCrazy.com MFX SustainFix plugin.

Check out the thread here.

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Go Back to forum