• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Off topic: Host applications

Share/Bookmark

Off topic: Host applications

I have been a Traction user since it was introduced. It is a good program for audio recording, but since I have gotten into more midi based stuff (due to my recent purchase of GPO ) the limitations for ease of midi editing have become painfully apparent. This realization led me to gather my cash together and look for a more "professional" solution. I was seriously considering Cubase SX.

This weekend, I was involved in a session with a small studio using Cubase SX 3 as their DAW. The session was going pretty well and we broke for lunch. Upon returning, the engineer could not reload the session file. Cubase was giving an error like "not a valid cpr". Nothing the engineer did could get the file to open. Needless to say, he had to rebuild the entire session. Upon questioning him, I found out that this happens every so often. He doesn't know what is causing it...

Well, scratch that one.

I did get a chance to work with fantastic DAW system a couple of weeks ago. After my experience this weekend, my decision was made.

I placed an order for Samplitude 8 Pro this morning.

Re: Off topic: Host applications

Did he try under file "New Project" "Import"?
    Styxx

It seems that steinberg uses microsoft windows strategy : release half-tested products and let first custumers finish the job.
    We all remember windows 2000 which turned stable in windows xp, the same applies to cubase sx 1.0 and sx 2.0.

Of course sx 2.2 is rock solid (I'm using it), but we have to wait sx 3.1 or 3.2 to get what we pay for.

Cubase users are beta testers for Nuendo .

I don't think you'll find the midi editing in Samplitude to be up to the standard found in Cubase. At least, not yet. That may have significantly changed in 8, but in 7 it left a lot to be desired.

I placed an order for Samplitude 8 Pro this morning.
    Definitely a choice buy for Audio quality but as J.B. states, midi in 7 didn't leave much to be desired. I gave up on Samplitude because of their approach in this industry and their disregard for an importance of midi to its consumers. However, Version 8 promises to be the improvement
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by robertb
    Traction...is a good program for audio recording, but since I have gotten into more midi based stuff the limitations for ease of midi editing have become painfully apparent.
    I was thinking of getting Traction 2...could you be explicit about its MIDI limitations?

Thanks!

Although a lot of the products out there can be "all in one" solutions, I prefer to use separate apps for what each does best. I use a Mackie HDR for tracking (ease of use), Nuendo for mixing (thanks, Cubase beta testers ), Sonar for MIDI, Cool Edit Pro for deep sample editing, Acid for loops, Vegas for video and Architect for DVD authoring.

There's a lot of overlap in funcitonality between these apps, but being able to take the best from each world makes for a great environment. Of course, I have the luxury of doing this. If I could only afford one app, then I'd take a harder look at how they all performed in each area of functionality and what the compromises were.

As an aside, I'm not familiar with Samplitude, and so went to their web site to explore. Their marketing director needs to be taken out back and soaked with a water hose. I couldn't find a quick and easy page that said what this app was. They just assume you know what Samplitude is, and go on to tell you about what's new in the latest version. Tsk, tsk...
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by robertb
    This weekend, I was involved in a session with a small studio using Cubase SX 3 as their DAW. The session was going pretty well and we broke for lunch. Upon returning, the engineer could not reload the session file. Cubase was giving an error like "not a valid cpr". Nothing the engineer did could get the file to open. Needless to say, he had to rebuild the entire session. Upon questioning him, I found out that this happens every so often. He doesn't know what is causing it...
    Just my opinion based on the exprience working with Cubase SX 3 and Logic Audio. After working nearly one year with Cubase I did gave it up and went back to logic (version 7 on a G5), despite the fact that I feel strong agressions against Emagic for the way they do business. I can not really say why I could not get along with Cubase. VST integration is good,( better as in Logic), and the problems you describe seam to happen more or less in all MIDI audio programs on the market. But if you work with a PC, Logic is not an option for you anyway.

Iwan

Quote Originally Posted by Iwan Roth
    But if you work ona PC, Logic is not an option for you anyway.
    As Logic customers who got discarded (like me) know all too well.

I used to feel a little sorry for Apple's periodic financial woes since Macs are so cool, but after this little maneuver I lost all sympathy for them whatsoever. Throw away 35% (yes, those are the numbers) of the existing customer base for a product just to spite Microsoft? That falls somewhere between juvenile and just plain dumb in my books. Perhaps Darwin was onto something...
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Go Back to forum