• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sonar 4 heads up

Share/Bookmark

Sonar 4 heads up

I've taken quite a challenge on here in that I'm trying to learn both Sonar 4 PE and GPO at the same time. Don't know much about either one yet, but working on it.

I've been setting up in Sonar and recording in the sequencer and every once in a while it would hiccup and stop for a second or two and then get on with it. Sometimes it would be during recording and sometimes it would be during playback. When I tried using Cubasis this didn't happen. I kept scratching my head for a while because I really prefer Sonar 4 to Cubase anything and finally last saturday I happened to be looking directly at the display (Sonay VAIO 2.66 gig P4 with a gig of ram) when it happened and I noticed out of the corner of my eye that down at the bottom left hand side of the track view window it said "automatic saving" and...BINGO! That's what the problem was. When I had originally installed Sonar I had been going thru all the menus and when I found auto save I thought wow, just like in Wordperfect, so I set it the same, ie, for 5 minutes or 5 changes. In Wordperfect it happens un-noticeably but in Sonar it takes 1 to 2 seconds and disrupts everything else. So I put a zero in both boxes and now Sonar works rock solid and I will train myself to simply use Control+S whenever I do something and get to a place where I want to save it again.

So if you are having strange stoppages, check the automatic save function and reset it if need be.

Tom

Re: Sonar 4 heads up

Hi Tom,

I've been useing Cakewalk for years and I can't remember anytime where autosave caused problems during playback or record. I usually set mine up for every 10-Minutes and zereo changes.

The only problems I've encountered is that autosave seems to cause a crash every once in a while. On the other hand it has saved my rear so many times that I won't go without it.

You might check with Calkwalk on this.

Best of luck.
    T. S.

WAY back when, autosave used to cause a lot of problems in Cakewalk. They did fix it a long time ago, but I had long since excised it from my workflow and burned Ctrl-S into my subconscious. I personally never use autosave. However, since those very early problems, I've not heard of the autosave causing any grief. I'm glad you pinpointed your problem, but I'd be surprised if the autosave is the ultimate culprit. I've got the sneaking suspicion that you've got some more system tweaks ahead of you...
    Careful, man, there's a beverage here!
    www.stevegoers.com

Well, that's good to know as it wasn't even on my radar. However, I'm with Steve. My first programming job (back in 89) was in Florida in the summer thunderstorm season. I now save reflexively every 5 keystrokes...
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

What it was doing was simply taking time out (1 to 2 secs) and putting up the hourglass cursor while it saved and then came right back. The problem came from my not knowing what was causing the problem. If I was going to use it, I would not set any time and instead would set say 10 or 15 changes and then have it auto save, but I think I would actually rather train myself to do it so that it gets done when I want to instead of when the machine wants to.

Also, I've done all the tweaks from www.musicxp.net and from www.blackviper.com so I think I've got most covered, at least that I know about. Since I turned off the auto save feature, Sonar 4 has been rock solid and I've had no problems with it.

Tom

There is a subtle difference between frequently saving manually and using autosave. That is that autosave goes to a separate "Autosave..." file rather than to your actual project file, which remains in its original state until you manually save.

So autosave gives you a reasonably recent point of recovery while preserving your original project file. If you decide to kill your current SONAR session without saving (I done this many times), having done frequent manual saves would force you to go to a backup to recover the original project file (Oh, I know, we all pull regular daily backups ).

But I know about the annoying delay of the autosave. I set mine to around 100 changes or so. The autosave then happen only while I'm editing.
    Bill

Go Back to forum