• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Star Wars Main Title (Aggressive)

Share/Bookmark

Star Wars Main Title (Aggressive)

Hi folks,

I've been back over the Star Wars Main Title I did a while back. I hardly ever go back over music but this one deserved a second go with the aggressive patches. I've also made the Cubase sequence available for anyone who'd like to see how it was done (though please, no recordings from this sequence).

The track is no longer a pure GPO demo. I've converted all the percussion to LOP, but the rest of the orchestra is of course GPO with the update.

Changes:

- Switch percussion to LOP
    - Aggressive patches for TPT, TBN, FHN and TBA
    - Sweetened 1st violins with a solo vln patch
    - The pan position of the 1st violins have been centered a little
    - The reverb has been deepened.
    - Sweetened cello with solo clo patch
    - Some doubling was added in strings to balance the aggressive patches
    - The pan positions of the trumpets were moved to the right somewhat
    - The bass counter melody under the repeat of the theme has been softened though I think it's still too much.
    - The tempo has been increased.
    - Worked on the velocities of the string part in the middle, though still not happy (given up) :-)

I tried to find the correct tempo for this piece but even Williams' own recordings vary somewhat; I picked a happy medium. :-)

Music: Williams, Transcr. & Arr. John Hawksley - Star Wars Main Title (GPO Aggressive Mix).mp3 [1.73 MB]

Sequence: Star Wars Fanfare.cpr

The original was an exercise in transcribing by ear (yes, took a long time :-)

I've kept a couple of idiosyncracies from the original (non-Williams-based) transcription - the short bass drum/timpani roll up to the opening note, and I've left out an annoying trumpet line which appears in some Williams recordings in the end section (which is a copy of what the short-bows vln1 play now, that little semiquaver repeating motif).

Enjoy :-)

John

PS - if you want to enable the GPO percussion in the sequence, it's the lowest part of the GPO section of the tracklist, all muted in the sequence. Should still work all right.

Re: Star Wars Main Title (Aggressive)

Wow!! It sounds great!
    (more please... )

Good job!!

Awesome! GPO sounds HUGE!

How 'bout tackling the Imperial March?
    I remain solely responsible for the content of my messages, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless northern sound source, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of my message(s). Rock on.

Yes - Imperial March Please Please Please

I can't get the sequence to open in Cubasis...is anyone else experiencing this?

John: Can you post the MIDI file?

Wes
    I remain solely responsible for the content of my messages, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless northern sound source, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of my message(s). Rock on.

Congratulations John!

Transcribing by ear is a very hard exercise, but what a useful and learningful!

When the final result is so close to the orig. you know that the power of re-creating it in your own music is in your hands...

Quote Originally Posted by wes37
    I can't get the sequence to open in Cubasis...is anyone else experiencing this?

John: Can you post the MIDI file?

Wes

Hey Wes - sure thing! It's in the same folder as the CPR, link below. You probably require a full Cubase SX version to open the file - sorry :-(

I just checked the MID though and it looks good. You should be able to re-create the instrument assignments from the track names. After the four (unused) A90 tracks, mute off the rest (that's the Giga LOP section). Uh, the string SCT are the lush sections, the sweetner vln1 is the VLN2 solo keyswitch, the MART tracks are short bows, the string CS are muted sections. The TBA 2 Solo is actually TBA 1.

Broad overview - tracks 1 to 54 are GPO, 55 - 58 are A90 synth (unused) and 59 - 74 are Giga port 1/1-16.

(And this is the *small* template :-)

Phew - good luck!

Man my templates are so stupid when I come to explain them to somebody :-) The reverb on the GPO tracks is the bundled Garritan reverb plugin in 'church' mode.

Star Wars Fanfare.mid

Thanks for taking a listen guys, yeah the GPO truly IS big, but it's all kudos to Gary and Tom for building it. It's such a fantastic tool. I think it can be as intimate as you like for love songs and the emotional side.... and if you want to do BIG, then I think you can hear: GPO just steps RIGHT UP to the plate.

You know, I took a first listen to the Imperial March just today actually, with a view to having a go. Rhythmically it's easier than the Main Title, I think; much more regular. But melodically it's all over the place. It's on a back burner for now :-)

Thanks again - I hope you can make sense of the MID.

John (The Phantom Arranger)

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio
    Congratulations John!

Transcribing by ear is a very hard exercise, but what a useful and learningful!

When the final result is so close to the orig. you know that the power of re-creating it in your own music is in your hands...
    Hey Fabio, THANKS for the comment :-) I was always a bit scared of brass and getting it to sound 'okay'. That was one of the reaons I just decided to try this piece; because it has such great brass writing. And I love the rhythms in the theme. Transcribing by ear is all I can do - I can't read music

Anyway, I like how this turned out. Thanks again, Fabio :-)

-John

Holy Wookie, John Hawskley! That's magnificent!

All of those live musicians must have cost you a bundle of money.

This is excellent work. I like it very much.

Regards,

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Thumbs up Re: Star Wars Main Title (Aggressive)

Khaaaaaaahooooooookhaaaaaaaahooooooooooo, Luke, I'm really not your father Luke! Need a hand?
    Excellent job on this man!
    Styxx

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast