I've been back over the Star Wars Main Title I did a while back. I hardly ever go back over music but this one deserved a second go with the aggressive patches. I've also made the Cubase sequence available for anyone who'd like to see how it was done (though please, no recordings from this sequence).
The track is no longer a pure GPO demo. I've converted all the percussion to LOP, but the rest of the orchestra is of course GPO with the update.
- Switch percussion to LOP
- Aggressive patches for TPT, TBN, FHN and TBA
- Sweetened 1st violins with a solo vln patch
- The pan position of the 1st violins have been centered a little
- The reverb has been deepened.
- Sweetened cello with solo clo patch
- Some doubling was added in strings to balance the aggressive patches
- The pan positions of the trumpets were moved to the right somewhat
- The bass counter melody under the repeat of the theme has been softened though I think it's still too much.
- The tempo has been increased.
- Worked on the velocities of the string part in the middle, though still not happy (given up) :-)
I tried to find the correct tempo for this piece but even Williams' own recordings vary somewhat; I picked a happy medium. :-)
Music: Williams, Transcr. & Arr. John Hawksley - Star Wars Main Title (GPO Aggressive Mix).mp3 [1.73 MB]
Sequence: Star Wars Fanfare.cpr
The original was an exercise in transcribing by ear (yes, took a long time :-)
I've kept a couple of idiosyncracies from the original (non-Williams-based) transcription - the short bass drum/timpani roll up to the opening note, and I've left out an annoying trumpet line which appears in some Williams recordings in the end section (which is a copy of what the short-bows vln1 play now, that little semiquaver repeating motif).
PS - if you want to enable the GPO percussion in the sequence, it's the lowest part of the GPO section of the tracklist, all muted in the sequence. Should still work all right.