• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: sonar 3.0

Share/Bookmark

sonar 3.0

I heard that Sonar 3.0 is out. Does somebody have some experience with the product. It also says that SONAR 3.0 PRODUCER (the more expensive version) has an integrated sampler and it is also compatible with .gig files.

Re: sonar 3.0

I upgraded from Sonar 2 to Sonar 3 Producer. I think the interface is much better and the audio routing is easier to comprehend now. What I really like is that you can EQ each track now without having to bring up another plug-in. Apart from these, the insides of the program are still the same basically. I haven\'t explored that extensively yet (not even with the older versions) as I have had my new Sonar for less than 2 weeks.

I also have Gigastudio and Kontakt so I haven\'t really tested VSampler yet. It looks simpler though, from the looks of it.

The Pantheon reverb that comes with Sonar 3 Producer is a quantum leap from its old reverb plug-ins although I think eveything comes too wet for my taste. But the sense of space that it creates is wonderful.

Here\'s a song that I have composed using Sonar 3. The mixing has not been done well as I don\'t have enough expertise in that area: I think the bass is too loud and some tracks stick out too much too. I will continually improve on it when I have enough time. The song\'s title is Waig .

That\'s about everything that I can share with you right now.

Nhick

I\'m also a Sonar 3 Producer user. I\'ve been using it every day since the beginning of the month, when cakewalk 2nd day aired it to me.

I\'m loving the program in general, espically the interface over 2.2xl. But to answer your specific question:

Producer is packed with VSampler 3. While I really enjoy vsampler (espically its sound editing/sampling side), I don\'t really enjoy using it with larger samples. It takes a very long time to load larger .gig files, and dosen\'t seem to perform as well. I tweaked and tweaked, but it really hit the CPU meter hard compared to kontakt.

It does load .gig, soundfont, and akai samples, and I don\'t mind using it on smaller samples, but I don\'t like using it on things that require disk streaming.

but again, I\'ll restate that I do enjoy vsampler with smaller samples, and the sampling/editing features are stellar- I\'ve had a blast creating new sounds, and then exporting them in vsampler\'s GREAT ogg vorbis based compressed format. My stuff sounds nice and has really small file sizes.

I hope this helps
    -Prof

Thanks folks for the helpful info. Since I already have Gigastudio 160 for some time I will probably just go for the simple version of sonar 3.0. Does that make sense or would I miss something?

you\'d be okay depending on what you already have

The producer version also includes the Ultrafunk Suite- which I absolutely love. so you\'d miss out on that and the per-channel EQ and enhanced mixing controls. but if you already have preffered plugs, this isnt a big deal.

you also wont get the \'professional sample library\', but thats definately not a big deal - and isn\'t that \'professional\' IMO.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by ProfessorOak:
    you\'d be okay depending on what you already have

The producer version also includes the Ultrafunk Suite- which I absolutely love. so you\'d miss out on that and the per-channel EQ and enhanced mixing controls. but if you already have preffered plugs, this isnt a big deal.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Despite having perhaps the single worst product name ever conceived, the Ultrafunk plugins are really solid, professional-quality stuff. If you don\'t have a full set of good quality plugins, it\'s a way to get them.

I think the Lexicon Pantheon comes with both editions, and all I can say about that plugin is [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] All the classic Lex sounds are there, and it is efficient at that!! You can run a bunch of them on a decent machine, and there you go. That plugin alone is worth the upgrade for anyone already on SONAR. No brainer.

It will take some time before people actually come to grips with what can be done with this bussing structure. Anything buss can route to any other buss, and any track can route to ANY combination of busses. One thing is for sure--a person with the SONAR 3.0 Producer Edition has no excuses left!!

Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:
    One thing is for sure--a person with the SONAR 3.0 Producer Edition has no excuses left!!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I guess I should hope that I will never see the upgrade here in Sweden then. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] It\'s probably a month or so away so I still have some excusing to do before it\'s over.

Regarding the Pantheon verb... I think the Studio Edition has only a LE version of the Pantheon while the Producer includes the full version.

/Mattias

I never liked any of the cakewalk reverb plugins until the Sonar 1.0\'s release of Studioverb.
    It sounds very dense with smooth tails and no audible aliasing and is very CPU conserving.
    How does the new Lexicon compare in sound quality?

Thanks for the additional data. I would like to know a little bit more about the \"VSampler 3.0 DXi\" compared to Gigastudio160 which I have for some time. As far as I understand .gig files can be imported into the VSampler...but are there any essential differences between Giga160 and the \"VSampler\" portion of Sonar 3.0 Producer Version?

I\'ve played with the Vsampler a bit, and so far it doesn\'t work too well with giga files.
    I tried to import the gigapiano lite version and it only imported half, so half the piano wasn\'t even there.
    Also it seems to use way more memory than Giga. Like 4 times as much, even though it does disk stream. I tried to improve things but haven\'t been able to.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast