• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: My percussion wishlist for GPO:Advanced

Share/Bookmark

My percussion wishlist for GPO:Advanced

I've had GPO for a couple of weeks now and I'm loving it!

The strings in particular are absolutely superb.

As a percussionist, I tend to be rather picky about percussion samples though.
    I've heard the MP3 demos of other libaries like EWQLSO and ProjectSAM and really love the percussion that's available in those.

GPO has some very good samples as well... but I do have a wishlist of things that would make GPO:Advanced really stellar for percussion, as well as tweaks to fix issues in the existing GPO library.

1) More variety of percussion-- concert toms, field drum, other snares, more cymbals, etc (some of which are certainly already planned for GPO Advanced I'm sure)

2) Ambient/metal hits, tam-tam scrapes, etc (again, I'm sure that Advanced will have additional sounds here)

3) The Symphonic Grand marimba in GPO contains a rather annoying amount of static/hiss in the lower registers. This is unfortunate, because those lower 2 octaves are the very reason you'd want to use this 5-octave instrument vs a smaller marimba, and the sound down there should be absolutely glorious.

4) The regular marimba has a bad sample on the A440 note. It sounds like the bar was not seated properly on the instrument when the sample was recorded, creating a stifled "dink!" sound. This renders the instrument effectively useless, which is a shame because it sounds very good otherwise.

5) Hard/soft mallets on various instruments, especially timpani.

6) More overall "presence". Not sure if that's just an EQ thing or what, but that seems to be the biggest separation between the GPO percussion sounds and the other libraries I mentioned. Actually the melodic instruments sound quite good.... but other things like snare drum, triangle, etc could use more brightness / clarity.

7) "Aggressive" percussion patches. Most drums, when struck hard, will bend upwards slightly in pitch. Maybe some hard timpani hits. I want my virtual percussionists to be working up a sweat!

8) The sustain pedal on the vibes does not work correctly. When you let the pedal up, it should cut off all sustaining notes, like the piano. Instead, previously sustained notes will continue to ring, while notes played AFTER the pedal-up will be muffled. It would make more sense to alter this patch to use "normal" sustain pedal operation rather than MIDI CC... is there a way to change this currently?

That's my wishlist so far, some new features I already know about (like the new instruments, whatever they are, to be included in GPOA) and a couple of issues that I think need to be fixed to make the entire GPO package complete.

Re: My percussion wishlist for GPO:Advanced

This is a good list. I especially agree with the new instruments and the hard/soft mallet option.
    Tim

I agree with it too. Id like to see more agression on ALL of the instruments, like brass that has some bite. If GPO had that i wouldnt use any other libraries

Quote Originally Posted by Kanjika
    I agree with it too. Id like to see more agression on ALL of the instruments, like brass that has some bite. If GPO had that i wouldnt use any other libraries

I don't think I can afford any more libraries! $800 for the SAM brass, another $500 for the percussion... let's just hope Gary can cram in a ton of value for us in the Advanced version.

You're right about the brass too... maybe the next version can just be called "GPO: Bawlz" and have lots of aggressive everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Thud
    . let's just hope Gary can cram in a ton of value for us in the Advanced version.
    Yes sir. As you say We'll make it so

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Yes sir. As you say We'll make it so

Sweeeeeet. This is why I love GPO and its surrounding community so much.

Value? I don't think Gary will have any problem keeping in line with GPO's fantastic value/quality ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    alue? I don't think Gary will have any problem keeping in line with GPO's fantastic value/quality ratio.
    I dont think he will either . i cant wait to see what GPO advanced offers...maybe its a big library that includes GOS...and GOP and GOW and GOB

Quote Originally Posted by Kanjika
    I dont think he will either . i cant wait to see what GPO advanced offers...maybe its a big library that includes GOS...and GOP and GOW and GOB
    That is what I am hoping for. The existing GPO is a grand thing - but I would really like it if GPO Advanced is actually aimed at competing with the big libraries, but at the more affordable price that has already been stated.

Thumbs up Re: My percussion wishlist for GPO:Advanced

Thud, as percussionist we know the enormous techniques, tools, sticking, types of cymbals, significance and timbre of the different percussion instruments, all the extra toys we use and how we play them would require definitely a separate Disk or two to cover everything!
    You mentioned “scrapes”. With a coin? With the tip of a wood stick or nylon stick? A wire brush, a metal comb? A triangle beater? How about harmonics on the vibraphone? What about timbales and jam blocks or granite blocks more wood blocks, cowbells. Ago go bells, metal shaker, djembe, and how these instruments sound with different strikers and sticks? Sizzles ride cymbal, China boy, inverted coupled clash (not crash) cymbals? Tam Tams of various size, Different make triangles, (Able and Musser) Field drum, tenor drum, piccolo snare drum, birdcalls, siren, whistles, chains. How about anvils, metal bars, Chinese gong drums, Japanese drums, log drums (large and small, tuned and untuned) Shekere, shakers, rattles, drum stick clicks, rim shots, sand blocks, thunder sheet, ice bells, Guiro, Maracas, Rattan Rattle, Finger cymbals, kalimbas, Cricket sound, Cabasa A~~~he, Klave, Castanets, Flexi A tone, , spoons, slap stick (large and small) and much more in the line of “found sounds”. You have obviously played in percussion ensembles and orchestra. You know that a full comprehensive percussion library would be its own entity somewhat apart from yet easily intergraded into your work with GPO. I am in favor of such a separate library consisting of nothing but percussion and variations, techniques, and what have you. But, nothing I’ve heard satisfies me save for the basic sounds of the orchestra. I play most of drums and percussion into recordings myself. Let’s face it, it’s percussion.
    Styxx

Go Back to forum