• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Topic: OT: How much do you charge for a jingle package?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Question OT: How much do you charge for a jingle package?

    I know this might not be the best place to post this question but maybe some of the pros around here can lend me a hand. I was asked to write a demo which could lead to a jingle package contract.

    It is for an AM radio in Chicago. If the demo is approved, I will be writing several ID ramps plus news, traffic, weather, and sports themes. I did a few jingles for financial companies in the past, but nothing like this. Honestly, I don't know how much to charge for a job like this. I don't want to overcharge the prospect client and loose the bid. On the other hand, I don't want to sell myself short.

    Any suggestions will be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Etracks

    P.S.: If you guys know any source of information about this on the web, please let me know.

  2. #2

    Re: OT: How much do you charge for a jingle package?

    Chances are they already have a figure in mind and that figure is fairly inflexible. Since it's a single AM station, my guess would be $3,000 to $5,000. But this kind of gig can be all over the map. $1,000 wouldn't surprise me, nor would $15,000. But like I said, somebody there has already written down a number, whether they've told you what it is or not.

    Generally, I don't quote a rate. Instead, I ask what they've budgeted. When they hesitate, I assure them that I generally work with whatever budget they've got, which is true.

    - Mike Greene

    Quote Originally Posted by jvidal2003
    I know this might not be the best place to post this question but maybe some of the pros around here can lend me a hand. I was asked to write a demo which could lead to a jingle package contract.

    It is for an AM radio in Chicago. If the demo is approved, I will be writing several ID ramps plus news, traffic, weather, and sports themes. I did a few jingles for financial companies in the past, but nothing like this. Honestly, I don't know how much to charge for a job like this. I don't want to overcharge the prospect client and loose the bid. On the other hand, I don't want to sell myself short.

    Any suggestions will be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Etracks

    P.S.: If you guys know any source of information about this on the web, please let me know.

  3. #3

    Question Re: OT: How much do you charge for a jingle package?

    Wow!! Two answers in less than 25 minutes. That was fast.

    Thank you guys.

  4. #4

    Re: OT: How much do you charge for a jingle package?

    Stations get their jingles two ways: custom (made-to-order, like you're describing) and syndicated (jingles that were made-to-order for one station subsequently resung for another). Custom package prices are all over the place, from $5k-$20k, syndicated packages are cheaper, generally $2k-$6k, depending on market size. The best way to find out how to price yourself is to just ask how much they've got to spend. Jingle budgets are pre-determined a year in advance, and it never seems to be enough.

    I've done quite a bit of work for Chicago stations, and you'd be surprised at who has money for jingles and who doesn't. The most successful ones seem to spend the least.

  5. #5

    Re: OT: How much do you charge for a jingle package?

    Some stations (especially in the AM band) only pay a few hundred $$ for this type of thing. Generally they use library cuts which are in that range.

    I just quoted a jingle for a TV station in the low thousands and I think I scared them away!!!

    It's amazing but library music has really taken a bit bite out of those low level gigs!
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

  6. #6

    Re: OT: How much do you charge for a jingle package?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske
    Is this a clear channel station? If not, you could word the licensing so that you could resell it in other markets.

    Lee Blaske
    Lee, it is not a clear channel station.

    Thank you guys for your insight. I have now something to hold on to while negociating.

    Thanks again.

  7. #7

    Re: OT: How much do you charge for a jingle package?

    Clear Channel stations do jingle lease agreements all the time (where the copyright is owned by the production company/composer/publisher and leased to stations on a market-exclusive basis). It's the way of the radio jingle world, stations and ownership groups expect it. If the station inisists on owning its own music, they've never bought jingles before.

    Aside from retaining the IP rights, make sure the broadcast performance rights are spelled out (ASCAP). Retaining the publishing/composer rights can be important, even some AM stations wind up in ASCAP's surveys.

  8. #8

    Re: OT: How much do you charge for a jingle package?

    Quote Originally Posted by bruceup
    . . .
    Aside from retaining the IP rights, make sure the broadcast performance rights are spelled out (ASCAP). Retaining the publishing/composer rights can be important, even some AM stations wind up in ASCAP's surveys.
    I guess I'm getting off on a tangent, but I have NEVER had a jingle show up on an ASCAP radio survey.

    Once, I even did all the themes and bumpers for a syndicated 3-hour radio show called "The Fox Kids Countdown" which was carried in 200 markets. The show ran for two years and I registered everything. Quarter after quarter, I'd see zip under radio performances. Heck, the jingles even showed up on the "Local Television" surveys (presumably as ads/promos) but not one single freakin' time under "Radio!"

    Eventually, I complained to ASCAP and their response was "Well, radio just doesn't pay that much and your show probably never showed up on any surveys and the statistics are very complicated and musicians just aren't smart enough to understand the complicated workings of ASCAP and blah, blah, blah."

    So I said, "My themes and bumpers play in and out of every single commercial for 3 hours every week in 200 markets, with multiple stations in many markets, including KIIS FM in Los Angeles (at the time, the #1 L.A. station) for the last two years, and not once did this occur during one of your survey samples?!?!?"

    They finally gave me a few thousand bucks to shut me up . . . and because I was right; that many instances SHOULD have shown up many times on their surveys. And I DO understand how their statistical surveys work: I do, after all, have a masters degree in Math with an emphasis in statistics.

    Commercials and promos have been the same way. TV Surveys will SOMETIMES pick them up, but radio? Never. Not once.

    Anyone else had more positive ASCAP radio jingle experinces?

    - Mike Greene

  9. #9

    Re: OT: How much do you charge for a jingle package?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Greene
    Commercials and promos have been the same way. TV Surveys will SOMETIMES pick them up, but radio? Never. Not once.

    Anyone else had more positive ASCAP radio jingle experinces?

    - Mike Greene
    Mike, I'm pretty much new to all of this. Your post reminded me of another question I asked myself in the past. Should I join ASCAP or BMI? Thanks.

  10. #10

    Re: OT: How much do you charge for a jingle package?

    Quote Originally Posted by jvidal2003
    Mike, I'm pretty much new to all of this. Your post reminded me of another question I asked myself in the past. Should I join ASCAP or BMI? Thanks.
    I would start a new topic with that question. I'll bet you get more answers than you'd ever want!

    - Mike Greene

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •