• Register
  • Help

Topic: Best resource for learning MIDI?

Share/Bookmark

Best resource for learning MIDI?

Howdy all!

All hail Brian 2112.

I know a little bit about MIDI, but need to go to a higher level so that I can learn how to best utilize my hardware and software.

Any resources are appreciated.

Wes
    I remain solely responsible for the content of my messages, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless northern sound source, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of my message(s). Rock on.

Re: Best resource for learning MIDI?

Gilreath's Guide to Midi Orchestration would be a good place to start.

Thank you! I actually have this and will have to take another look at it.
    I remain solely responsible for the content of my messages, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless northern sound source, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of my message(s). Rock on.

Wes,

Is there anything in particular that you're looking to do with MIDI? On one hand there are ports, channels, banks and programs. On the other hand there's SysEx stuff. The area that you will want to study depends on your goals.

All the best,

-JF

Hey, Wes.

Even though it was written in the 80s when it was all beginning, I still find Craig Anderton's MIDI for Musicians one of the most comprehensive and relevant works on the subject. Think I got mine from Amazon.
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Go Back to forum