• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: DPDan's Schumann Piano Concerto - COMPARISON OF GPO & REAL ORCHESTRA!

DPDan's Schumann Piano Concerto - COMPARISON OF GPO & REAL ORCHESTRA!

Here are a few snippets from my rendition of Clara Schumann's Piano Concerto In A Minor, Opus 7 that I did for a client who is a GPO owner and also has Digital Performer. He hired me to replicate a particular audio CD recording of a real orchestra performing this piece. He will use this GOS/GPO "track" to play along with. I can't say that this one was done by ear, I am learning how to read music, but My Mom (bless her heart) played in much of the parts. Of course, thanks to Digital Performer and all of it's incredible features that allowed this 22 minute piece to be completed in a little over two weeks.

The piano that you hear going in and out in these MP3 demos is the piano from the audio CD recording of the "real orchestra". As soon as the GOS/GPO Orchestra comes in, I turn the piano way down. All sounds are Garritan except the timpani which is from Vienna demos included with Gigastudio GS3 Orchestra.

The track named "compare and save" is crossfading quickly between me and the real recording. Have a listen... it shows just how close GPO and GOS can come to replacing a real "recorded" orchestra.

The client will send me the stereo recording of himself playing the piece on his Uncle's huge real grand piano in New York late March, at which time I will add this in, then it will be done!

GOS is so amazing, the alternating up/down bows are to die for, not to mention the amazing selection of articulations. Thank you Gary!

snippet 1
    snippet 2
    snippet 3
    snippet 4
    snippet 5
    compare and save

Re: Clara Schumann's Piano Concerto in A minor snippet

Wow! The Compare and Save track is REALLY COOL! Garritan really blends/matches that orchestra. So cool to hear a direct comparison as you've done here.

Great work with the sequencing. Sounds like a very interesting project.

Do you have templates set up with GPO and DP?

Fellow DP user here,

Donald W. Sorah
    Doctoral Teaching Assistant
    Florida State University
    Tallahassee, FL

A great undertaking and one of the best comparisons to a real orchestra that I have heard. Even Robert Schumann would be amazed at hearing this. You wouldn't be able to convince him it wasn't a real symphony playing nearby.

Great Work! This needs to be heard by all of those people that have any doubts about how real GPO can be...........

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Cool Re: Clara Schumann's Piano Concerto in A minor snippet

If you are not a crazy man fooling us all, I can't believe to my ears...

But be careful, if it's a joke, it's the more improper trick people can imagine...and I hope that Gary may reveal it...

If it's real, please let me know what's your job, and why you are "just" learning music...

Who writes (me...;-) has experience in classical music recreation, but what you did is unbelievable for me too.......and I read and write music very very well....

Dan, that's really something to hear. Very, very cool, man.
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer

Thank you very much guys. It's no joke, since I had to replicate or duplicate the audio CD recording, the very first thing I did after opening a new project in Digital Performer, was to copy all three movements from the audio CD into a stereo audio track. From the very first note played to the last timpani hit, had to match as closely as possible the original recording. I was not able to use any conductor/tempo track at all since audio tracks can not follow a conductor track. All the feeling and timing was created through the intricate placement of every note by hand with the trackball, and many features in DP.

So, it goes without saying, (although I am going to say it)....
    the original CD track was always there along for the ride, "in sync" with my GOS/GPO orchestra.
    When I sent the demo pieces to the client, I decided it would be really cool for him to hear just how close I got, which is why I made compare and save a little joke there, which crossfades quickly between me and the real recording.

After I had come home from FedEx, I emailed the client these links and referred to the links as little teasers that he could listen to before the next morning when his CD would arrive.

With all humbleness and meekness, I received this email from him...

"Unbelievable" is an over-used word. But that is the only word that comes to mind when I hear your teaser.

Can't wait to hear your final version.

Thanks so much for your kind compliments everyone, and Don, I will be posting soon a picture of the tracks window from the DP project which is the template that I used for this project.

This is simply stunning.

That is truly amazing! Thanks for the "compare and save" demo. It is mind-boggling.

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander

West Seneca, NY

Thumbs up Re: Clara Schumann's Piano Concerto in A minor snippet

Wow Dan these are fantastic! Now I want GOS. Wow again and again! So real and full of articulation!

Hey guys,

Have you ever wondered why Dan doesn't post a picture of himself? That's because he has these huge musical ears and brain that have for years vacuumed up everything musical that has come within ten miles of him. And now that GPO has come into his life, he has no choice but to regurgitate all those lovely sounds back for us to hear. He is a man possessed. He can't help it. There is nothing we can do to stop him. He will go on forever rendering astonishing realism with GPO and GOS.

God help us all,

Go Back to forum