• Register
  • Help

Topic: Woodwind Quintet - Rough Drafts

Woodwind Quintet - Rough Drafts

Ok guys!

Every time I conclude a movement I feel like I should add another. But I'm feeling pretty good about ending it here, with five movements.

This is just a rough rendering with GPO at this point. I've not spent any time with the expression yet. Hopefully I'll get to that the end of this week since I'll be off after getting my wisdom teeth removed!

Let me know what you think. Positive or 'not-so-positive.'

Movement I
    Movement II (Posted before)
    Movement III
    Movement IV
    Movement V
    Donald W. Sorah
    Doctoral Teaching Assistant
    Florida State University
    Tallahassee, FL

New York City

Re: Woodwind Quintet - Rough Drafts

Brasspig -

I just had the pleasure of listening to all five movements. And while you feel this is ready to put to bed, I have to disagree. Perhaps it's just because I enjoyed them so much, but I feel you can keep going . I really liked how each movement had such a different feel from the other.

Most excellent!

- Michael
    - Michael Fortunato

Excellent work! I was surprised, however to not hear the Horn in F in this woodwind quintet. What did you substitute for it? An wonderful piece, compositionally. I would, if I were you, make a notation of the instrumentation in the title so that when you get it published (I am a positive thinker), the Horn in F player doesn't feel dissed!
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Thanks for your comments mfortunato and jessh. I'm glad you enjoyed the Quintet.

Jess - the instrumentation is a bit odd in the fact that it replaces the F Horn with the English Horn. I decided that I wanted a TRUE woodwind sounding quintet rather than letting the traditional F Horn play there. I agree (hopefully thinking) that when it is published it should bear the instrumentation in the title.

Michael - I do agree that the movements are rather short. That was sort of the intent. But, that's not to say that the themes couldn't reappear in a future work of a larger scale.

I will try to finish up the expression work in GPO and repost them as soon as I find time.

Thanks to you all for your time listening and comments!

Donald W. Sorah
    Doctoral Teaching Assistant
    Florida State University
    Tallahassee, FL

Go Back to forum