• Register
  • Help

Topic: Is it worth handing out Demo @ GDC?

Share/Bookmark

Is it worth handing out Demo @ GDC?

Is it worth hitting up all the booths @ GDC?
    Or just have them on hand if you meet someone?
    Should the demo be in dvd or cd format?
    How many should you bring?

Re: Is it worth handing out Demo @ GDC?

Quote Originally Posted by locash
    All of the job booths, yes.

That too.

Whichever format puts you in the best light. If you've done a lot of work to picture, then a video format is better.

Depends on how aggressive and/or accurate you are. My first year, I brought ~75 and unloaded them all, though not always to all the right poeple. Second year, I had 50, but I targetted the right people better and brough maybe 10 or so home. So, first year? As many as you can carry

YES - if they're seeking audio personell, or after TALKING with them they say to give them your demo CD. No point wasting a demo CD if they don't want it.
    YES - but at least talk to them first
    CD - Audio + Multimedia

Some people won't have access to DVD player, or unless you REALLY need 4.5gig of space for your audio as a DVD ROM.

Enough that you don't run out, but not too many that you waste carrying around and feeling desperate enough afterwards to put them as coasters on all the tables.

My first year I only brought 30, I got a contract with those.

Second year I brought 50, and still have around 15 left over. I am picky who I hand out demo CDs to, and anyone who doesn't need one gets a business card. Friends and such can grab my music from my website. Demo CD is to demo your stuff to a prospective client who wants to listen to them without having to go through trouble of downloading everything.

Give a business card and a demo cd to your prospectives.

Never interrupt someone who is being given a demo CD by somone else and say Oh, have mine too - this looks bad, desperate. Put in your own time talking to them (unless in a group).

Also it's better to wander around by yourself and meet people rather than in a group, or with a friend - you really force yourself to meet more people and talk to them rather than rely on the other person.
    Composer / Sound Designer / Audio Engineer
    GroovyAudio

I'm going to try an experiment this year:

With an all access pass, i'm going to completely skip the audio sessions and go to production and design sessions and make friendly conversation around there.

One thing I've noticed is audio guys feel really comfortable around their own kind, but tend to be shy when it comes to talking to other people within the industry - and that's actually a hindrance for us.

At home, I hang out with mostly programmers, and I've done audio for dozens of small games for them. I have a feeling that if I expand that to the professional world, it could work as well..

Any one got any advice before i potentially waste my time??

It also seemes as if the Audio Track at GDC 2005 is the same (at least for the last 4 years) - if you've never been there, it's invaluable, and you should balance your promotion time with learning time (or find a way to do both)..

Jay

ps - Hi Yannis, Ed, all!

Hi Jay,

I totally agree with you. I've also got an all session pass this year too and going beyond the audio. I will be falling asleep in all the tutorials if they're the same as the last 2 years. I tend to hang with producer and programmer types when I am not with the audio d000ds.

I'm also trying a little experiment - doing something a little different and inventive with my marketing. Hopefully it will attract attention

I'm quite specific on what I want to achieve this GDC.
    GroovyAudio

Quote Originally Posted by groovyone
    I'm also trying a little experiment - doing something a little different and inventive with my marketing. Hopefully it will attract attention
    Does it involve wearing a gold jacket?
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

that's a scary lookin avatar you have there scotty
    GroovyAudio

Thanks man. See that hand on my neck, just on the left side of the pic? Its probably yours!
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Hey wait a sec... It is your hand!!!

- SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

I was wondering how my hand ended up there!

I didn't bother with the gold jacket, or even circus midgets.

Actually, I handed out 2 cds all up (all that stress and rushing to get my kit ready for nothing). Still managed to pick up 1 contract at GDC and 4 contracts just from past clients - didn't want more work, so didn't hand out anymore CDs
    GroovyAudio

Go Back to forum