• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question about about the included Larry Seyer drums

Share/Bookmark

Question about about the included Larry Seyer drums

Hello,

I'm about ready to upgrade to Gigastudio 3.

I have a question about the Larry Seyer drums which are included in the Orchestral package (I believe they are included in other packages, but I want GigaPulse Pro).

Here's what I need - Can you tell me if the included drum fits the bill?

I need a good solid rock drum kit. I want 2 kick drums for double bass parts. Lots of crash cymbals. Good ride, hats, etc.

I don't need electronic drums or exotic percussion.

I watched the Seyer video and nearly all the drums I heard sounded fantastic. How much of what I heard in the video is included?

Thanks

Mark

Re: Question about about the included Larry Seyer drums

The demo kit is GREAT. It's totally usable as well.

There are three included room resonances: tight, beefy and thunderous. That covers a lot of ground. There are a number of BD kick sounds included that are mapped to different keys. I don't know that the drums are different, or if it's just velocity and duration, but alternating these makes a great double BD.

You get three toms, each mapped to two keys, a number of snare keys, the three standard hi-hat keys, ride and a few accent cymbals.

Sometimes the sound is too big for what I'm doing. You can do your work with the kit stacked, then copy the MIDI to multiple tracks, and use individual drums separately. GS3 has some respectable compression and EQ, and you can map the result in to one of the resonance models in a group. I find I can thin out the drums pretty well with this approach.

It's a great all around kit. And it's clearly my "go to" kit.

-JF

One other thing: you can map your existing drum gigs through the included resonances (if you have Orchestra), so you can breathe new life into old samples as well.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by Briody
    Hello,

I'm about ready to upgrade to Gigastudio 3.

I have a question about the Larry Seyer drums which are included in the Orchestral package (I believe they are included in other packages, but I want GigaPulse Pro).

Here's what I need - Can you tell me if the included drum fits the bill?

I need a good solid rock drum kit. I want 2 kick drums for double bass parts. Lots of crash cymbals. Good ride, hats, etc.

I don't need electronic drums or exotic percussion.

I watched the Seyer video and nearly all the drums I heard sounded fantastic. How much of what I heard in the video is included?
    The video was done using the Optimal/EXpanded (EX) drum kits... So really, none of the drum kits in the video are included with GS3...

But the drum kits that are included in GS3 are very good and useful...

Here is the list of what you get with GigaStudio Orchestra:

http://www.tascamgiga.com/libraries.html which includes 3 of the General MIDI (GM) drum kits (very basic stuff), but none of the rooms or midi files...

Here is a list (and MP3 demos) of the drum kits that you get when you buy the "Larry Seyer Acoustic Drums" library...

http://www.larryseyer.com/lsl/lsdhear.php

Best to you!

Larry Seyer
    http://www.larryseyer.com
    NorthernSounds.NET.
    View Larry Seyer's Profile at NorthernSounds.net

Not mentioned is that you get the positioning control on the toms and snare. The effect of the mod-wheel on the snare is subtle, but the effect on the toms goes from the center out to the rim.

It doesn't match the full lib (near the top of my wish list!), but it stands tall, nonetheless.

-JF

Go Back to forum