• Register
  • Help

Topic: Rewire and CPU

Share/Bookmark

Question Rewire and CPU

Hi
    Whenever I load a Rewire GIGA3 instance in Sonar 4, Sonar loads about 20% of my CPU continuously (before I even start playing anything)
    when GS3 uses lots of Gigapulse instance this can be up to 50% of CPU loaded by sonar
    what's going on

Re: Rewire and CPU

Quote Originally Posted by k-nar
    Hi
    Whenever I load a Rewire GIGA3 instance in Sonar 4, Sonar loads about 20% of my CPU continuously (before I even start playing anything)
    when GS3 uses lots of Gigapulse instance this can be up to 50% of CPU loaded by sonar
    what's going on
    If you have lots of Gpulses loaded, expect lots of CPU drain. I just did a test on my Athlon64 3000+ system. Five GPulses takes 43% of the CPU with nothing else loaded and nothing playing. I don't run Rewire though...

-JF

thanks JF!
    so when we play something, the gigapulse engine alone does not take more resource does it?

Correct. It just hums along, processing anything that comes its way, including a bunch of zeros. Polyphony is another story. The CPU load varies depending on what it's trying to stream from RAM and the hard drive.

-JF

Gigapulsing is great but wow, what a tax on my system! I can do 16 channels with only 35% and then add 1 instance of Gigapulse imaging for the piano and jump to 75-80% processing! (I'm using an Athlon 3.2 GHz)

The Tascam reps told me that in the future, dual processing may be optimized for gigapulsing/sampling processes.. but don't quote me on it yet

Speaking of ReWire, It's something I haven't used a lot but will be now that it's included...

Just like K-Nar I'm using Sonar 4 Producer - on a separate computer - and so it is possible to rewire tracks via gigabit teleport (LAN connection)?

I'd also like to ask whether Cubase or other sequencers handle real-time audio editing and vst processing better than Sonar 4.... but maybe that's a question for a different section.

Thanks,

Jay

Go Back to forum