• Register
  • Help

Topic: just got GPO, need some sagely advice.

Share/Bookmark

just got GPO, need some sagely advice.

hey,

I'm just a kid [tender age of 19] and new to the whole computer music scene so please bear me out. In fact, I just got GPO yesterday and its AMAZING! Eat dust, Kontakt Player Gold.

Anyway,
    I want to get the "Symphony of Voices" library and its down in the catagory of "gigasamples". What kind of software do I need to use this [and others in the future] library? Money is no object.

thanks a lot for your help,

Rob.
    ""A woman should dress to attract attention. To attract the most attention, a woman should be either nude, or wearing something as expensive as getting her nude is going to be." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Re: just got GPO, need some sagely advice.

wow, thanks a lot man!

I just wanted to be sure that a copy of Kontakt or Gigastudio was what i needed. I've read somewhere that Kontakt likes gigastudio files - is this true?
    ""A woman should dress to attract attention. To attract the most attention, a woman should be either nude, or wearing something as expensive as getting her nude is going to be." -- P.J. O'Rourke

While we're on the "money is no object" topic, if you do any kind of contemporary music where you'd want a drummer, you've just got to check out Larry Seyer's Acoustic Drums. You'll have to have GigaStudio 3 for this lib, but if you end up buying GS, his lib is amazing, especially for such a low cost. He has a cool video on that link showing what all the lib can do. And he's a really nice guy, which I think counts for a lot.
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

wow, thanks guys.

One thing i've learned is that, despite "money being no object" is that a big price tag is no barometer to quality. I've had GPO only two days and sounds to me as good as anything else i've heard.

I wonder is VSL really that good? their chanber strings demo sounds far too synthy for the price they're asking, imo.

ooh! ooh! another question: what is the most expensive library out there that only the real pros could afford?

its the last question i swear. [I've gotta get back to GPO'n some of the old stuff anyway ]

Quote Originally Posted by neoTypic
    EW/QL Symphonic Orchestra Platinum is $3k and there is a pro edition coming out that will cost another couple k.

VSL's complete pro orchestral package costs almost 6k.

Trust me, you can spend lots and lots of money on this stuff.

The only thing I have is GPO. I'd like to have a lot more, but I don't have that kinda money. *laughs*
    This is kind of off topic, but I am almost certain people who use the less expensive libraries like GPO tend to create better results with them. They have to be more resourceful in how to make things realistic.

Even with the VERY BEST sample library (and THAT is very subjective to taste and function) can sound VERY synthy and unmusical if you don't use it with some knowledge of orchestration and some sense of musicality. It takes a lot of work and finesse to get any sample library to truly sound realistic. GPO is, in my opinion - the EASIEST to work with to get that realism, but you still need to acquire the skills to do it.

It's not enough to be the "conductor"
    You almost have to BECOME the flautist, the trumpet player, the percussionist, etc. and get a sense of how they would REALLY be performing the music you give them. For me it's kind of schizophrenic. I love it though.

Bottom line - I have heard GPO demos that sounded FAR superior than some of the ones from VSL and EW/QL libraries. And vice-versa. It really is how you use it. Liike any musical instrument, sample libraries need practice and skill to become musical.

Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Talking Re: just got GPO, need some sagely advice.

Banquo - -

You didn't mentioned if you are intending to use a sequencer (such as Cubase SX, Pro Tools, Sonar, etc.). I went with a "matched set" of Steinberg's Cubase SX and HALion (now HALion3) when I made the switch to sampleland. HALion3 is a viable alternative to Kontakt or Giga. (The more I hear about Giga the more non-standard and scary it sounds, personally.)

welcome to GPO-land!

KevinKauai

oh no probem there, I already have Cubase SX [my cousin Shane owns a music shop in Temple Bar, so i get some serious discounts!].

And you guys are right about creativity versus having the best pruducts like they say, 'necessity is the mother of invention'.

oh no probem there, I already have Cubase SX [my cousin Shane owns a music shop in Temple Bar, so i get some serious discounts!].

And you guys are right about creativity versus having the best products - like they say, 'necessity is the mother of invention'.

Go Back to forum