• Register
  • Help

Topic: Blood and Guts and EWQLSO Gold

Share/Bookmark

Blood and Guts and EWQLSO Gold

Okay so this topic should be in the Off Topic area but since I'm using Gold to realize my latest score I wanted to put this question here up for debate.

The movie I'm doing is a psychological horror film. Not much blood and guts up until the end. So I've been doing mostly a psychological thriller score until the end ala Hitchcock type music.

Well the end of the movie is about as disturbing as one can get. If you ever get to see this film you'll see what I'm talking about. It's a good film but very gruesome ending.

As I was scoring it the director wanted a Wagnerian type ending. Huge and orchestral. I ended up cheating a little by playing triads on the 6hrn section patch for a total of 18 horns(yeah baby! In your dreams Wagner)! Well anyway, I was at first a little snooty and was thinking here I have to write some great music to a disgusting scene(mind you the movie isn't a typical slasher movie. It's actually quite intelligent). Then I started to wonder if it's any different than writing music to like a Greek tragedy where Oedipus gouges his eyes out or the end of any Wagner Opera where everybody goes through long and painful deaths or the end of Pagliacci where the clown stabs his wife and her lover or Three Penny Opera with Mac the Knife,ect.,ect.,ect.

So my question that I'd like to discuss is what separates the work we do as film composers from the work opera composers have been doing just in terms of subjects? Does great music make a scene or subject that's gruesome artistic in any medium?

Anybody care to answer.

Cheers,

Jose

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Blood and Guts and EWQLSO Gold

I like to work against things which are violent, and score my response rather than the action. I guess that goes for anything I do, really. I'm not interested in telling the viewer how to feel in terms of telegraphing a particular emotion, but I think there's a lot of power in letting the picture tell its own story, and the music providing some other aspect of the story, i.e., how the violent scene relates to the overall story arc.

Yeah Bruce wise point. It's actually the direction I went in as the music scores the drama rather than the action,i.e. themes like revenge, tragedy, finality and closing. I definately didn't want to go with slasher music even though the producer wanted to go in that direction, but the director and I went in another direction and the producer ultimately agreed.

But you're one of the first people I've run across to actually put it so elegantly. I'm glad you responded as you helped to sharpen my thoughts on the matter.

Would love any comments from anybody else and now that things are getting a little slower I'll put up some of the score for people to comment on soon.

Cheers,

Jose

Quote Originally Posted by josejherring
    The movie I'm doing is a psychological horror film. Not much blood and guts up until the end. So I've been doing mostly a psychological thriller score until the end ala Hitchcock type music.

So my question that I'd like to discuss is what separates the work we do as film composers from the work opera composers have been doing just in terms of subjects? Does great music make a scene or subject that's gruesome artistic in any medium?

Anybody care to answer.

Cheers,

Jose
    Hitchcock type music Jose ? I know what you mean - you mean Herrmann type music right?

The shower scene in Psycho is fairly gruesome I suppose, but not gruesome in the way it may mean today. Originally, Hitchcock didn't want any music to that scene, but Herrmann went and wrote it anyway - and of course, the rest is history. So, to me. I would say that every now and again a score can really make a scene memorable as in this particular case. How many other composers, then and now, would have written a score like that? None actually. There again, what use this is to you, I don't know because there are no more Hitchcocks and no more Herrmanns. Some copies, for sure.

Jerry Goldsmith won an Oscar for a strange little film called The Omen, for instance, and I think it's fair to say his score probably lifted the film a few notches.

Bruce always says that. (-; hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR
    Hitchcock type music Jose ? I know what you mean - you mean Herrmann type music right?
    I was trying not to use the composer's name because I don't want anybody to think that I'm not original. I'm trying to be original here darn it. I'm trying and trying and trying...oh what's the use. I LOVE BERNY HERRMANN. HE'S THE ONLY REASON I GOT INTO FILM IN THE FIRST PLACE. I DREAM OF WRITING ORIGINAL THRILLER MUSIC AS ORIGINAL AS HIS WAS BACK THEN. That dream keeps me alive--as well as dreams of making millions of dollars in Hollywood. Well at least I get to write cool thriller music, I'm still working on the millions of dollars though.

Cheers,

Jose

Talking Re: Blood and Guts and EWQLSO Gold

Quote Originally Posted by josejherring
    I was trying not to use the composer's name because I don't want anybody to think that I'm not original. I'm trying to be original here darn it. I'm trying and trying and trying...oh what's the use. I LOVE BERNY HERRMANN. HE'S THE ONLY REASON I GOT INTO FILM IN THE FIRST PLACE. I DREAM OF WRITING ORIGINAL THRILLER MUSIC AS ORIGINAL AS HIS WAS BACK THEN. That dream keeps me alive--as well as dreams of making millions of dollars in Hollywood. Well at least I get to write cool thriller music, I'm still working on the millions of dollars though.

Cheers,
    Jose
    IT'S BENNY! BENNY HERRMANN!

Why are you shouting?

To write like Herrmann aye? So what was your question?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR
    IT'S BENNY! BENNY HERRMANN!
    You must be thinking of Benny Goodman!

Go Back to forum