• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: VSL vs. EWQL-SO

Share/Bookmark

VSL vs. EWQL-SO

VSL vs. EWQL-SO?

I'm quite sure I'm not the first person here to ask this, but I did a few searches and couldn't find a good thread on this.

I know that no library can be all things to all people, and I know that it largely depends on what your needs and purposes are, but could some knowledgeable people experienced with both libraries weigh in on a comparison?

What can you do with one that you can't do as well with the other? What advantages does one have over the other?

I know that EWQL Platinum gives you multiple mic positions and I think that VSL does not. I think with VSL, you'll have to use convolution to put your orchestra in whatever room you want. But I think that VSL gives you more instrument combinations and/or more articulations, and I don't think that EWQL has performance control software like that found in VSL.

I'm also not terribly familiar with the comparitive differences between the EXS sampler that I would use with the VSL and the Kompakt/Kontakt software that I would need to use with EWQL. Plus which, if I am to use the EXS sampler, I'll need to switch to Logic from DP, and I don't know if this is good or bad.

Please help. It's a good deal of money I'm going to spend, either way, and I need to make the most informed decision.

Thanks,

Scott Rogers

Re: VSL vs. EWQL-SO

I'm probably gonna get stomped upon for opening my mouth at all here
    But put very shortly, here is a (hopefully) rather neutral describtion from my part:

VSL - close dry samples, more accuracy as dry instruments, bigger in size (Pro edition is 3-4 times as big as EWQLSO Platinum). Delivered mostly as separate sample patches in giga-format (there are other formats out today). Very even in sound quality (almost boringly accurate), more classical, naked, and also more complex to use. Better for creating realism in close detail.

EWQL - Ambient samples, recorded "in place" (with the exception of Platinum which gives you 3 different mic positions), emphasis is a little more on ensemble sound than absolute accuracy in close detail. Delivered in Kompakt format (VSTi user interface). More varying in quality from sound to sound and note to note which means it sounds better as an ensemble. More hollywood, more "big sound" and easier to use. Better for creating entire orchestra mockups with realistic ambience, and more efficient to use timewise.

(Anyone detecting that I am portraying one as better, is just reading an unintended lack of objectivity).

Do a search here. There has been plenty of discussions on this topic - most of them are 6 months old or more
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Scott, I primarily use EWQLSO Gold and Silver Editions with a smattering of some VSL sounds that came bundled with Gigastudio 3 Orchestra. I initially was very pro VSL but after having used Gold for a few months, I like it better. One, I don't have to worry about glitches (which I do have on occasion with GS3/VSL) and two, I can load a full orchestral palette with built in reverb.

I'll be honest- there are a couple instruments that I prefer from VSL. The solo flute and clarinet are nicer IMO. But in general, I find EWQLSO Gold to be a great workhorse for almost every orchestral need I have. I also like the release samples. It makes a big difference in richness and depth. However, I do augment the Gold patches with Silver since it's even lighter on my CPU and has some pretty great sounds that mix perfectly with Gold.

VSL to me sounds very detailed and a little harsh. For smaller settings it's probably okay but I never have just used VSL-based samples. I always use them with Project SAM brass or Prime Sounds Session string or whatever. With EWQLSO Gold, I have just used that alone and the results have been exceptional.

It would be great to be able to "test-drive" the sounds of both to get an idea of what library lights your fire but you can't. Well, if you already have Gigastudio, there is a fairly large demo library on the VSL website. Not bad. But play the demos from both libraries and see which you like.

Here's some financial stuff:

EWQLSO Silver- $299
    EWQLSO Silver Pro- $599 * not release until Apr 30/05 and includes sounds from Silver

EWQLSO Gold- $999
    EWQLSO Gold Pro- $1999 * ditto the Silver pro info

VSL Horizon Opus 1- $999
    VSL Orchestral Cube- too expensive for me to even comment...

Tomke, excellent summation. And I think it was very neutral and non-biased. Good job!!!

Thanks to both of you, and I hope others will weigh in as well.

Where's a good place to listen to EWQL-SO demos made entirely with the Gold set and no reverb or convolution added? I can't tell what they're using for the demos at the Sounds-Online site. I don't want to hear a demo using the Platinum set if I'm only thinking about purchasing the Gold set at the moment.

As far as sample software, it's either going to be EXS or Kontakt2 for me. Are these samplers comparable? I don't know which one is better than the other.

Thanks again.

Scott Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by dcoscina
    Tomke, excellent summation. And I think it was very neutral and non-biased. Good job!!!
    Gee, I thought I would start an old war and instead I get compliments
    Thx
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomke
    Gee, I thought I would start an old war and instead I get compliments
    Thx

I think we're all tired of waring on this one.

For me I'm partial to the Gold and Platinum. I only know VSL from the demos but I'm really not partial to the close mic sound. Even with convelution(or is it called impulse) reverbs I still think it doesn't sound all that real. BUT(big but) while I was the harshest critic of VSL before, I've actually come to like it in the past few weeks.

EWQLSO Gold is great for film work and great for concert scores. And the benefit of qlso is that you don't have to do much engineering. That being said VSL engineered well sounds very good. But even the demos on the sight sound bad if the production isn't top, top quality.

Another thing that you have to consider with VSL is something that I get slammed hard for saying; that is; it doesn't sound like the orchestras people are use to hearing in film, tv and symphony concerts in America.

Woodwinds in Vienna are very different than woodwinds in other parts of Europe and America. Trumpets they use are rotary trumpets which only get used in German Orchestras(except for your occasional Brahms symphony performance in America). The horns are much smaller and less powerful than any orchestra in the world(most people see the horn as a brass instrument these days and Vienna still treats it in it's traditional role as a bridge between ww and brass. Oboe is a different oboe entirely( I think mostly due to the antagonism towards the French). Flutes I think may be wood flutes, ect.

So you're dealing with a vastly different set of woodwind and brass instruments than you are with any other orchestra or sample library.

Please again send all roten tomatos to my PM so as to avoid showing this new member exactly how we treat eachother around here.

Cheers,

Jose

I would never dream of making a EWQLSO vs VSL thread myself, as I believe its the second greatest sin one can make on northernsounds - right behind GPO vs Silver - but since its here I might as well ask a question!!

In May I'm going to buy one of the 1k libraries - either Gold or Opus 1. Now, after listening to the demos and looking at the articulations and weighing in my own opinion on EWQLSO from what I know of Silver, in my humble opinion Opus 1 sounds like the better deal - what with the interval sampling and 10 extra Gigs worth of sounds and all. And anyways (and I know I'm in the minority here), I just dont like the sound of EWQLSO. It sounds like its been bleached, and submerged and left to soak in reverb for days, then had a fresh coat of it painted on. And the 11 violins in Silver go out of tune after about a second. Opus 1, on the other hand, to me at least, sounds organic, and more "true". But I'm a newbie-composer who's in his first semester of school, so what would I know?

Also, I will absolutely never, ever, ever pay full price for Gold, because I will always think that a group buy is right around the corner (even if it takes a year or two). So, I'm not buying Gold!! And Opus 1's demos are far more impressive (especially the Ravel).

But, the only thing that I don't understand about Opus 1 is, does it come with reverb? Or would I have spend another 1k on Altiverb just to get it to sound decent? Having the instruments recorded "dry" or whatever they say, is basically going to sound as bad as if they didnt have release samples, right? I will need reverb if I buy Opus 1?

Edit: oh, I didn't read jose's post and now he's discouraged me, and I'm all confused again about what to get. Maybe Sonic Implants will win my dollar. (SISS Mini is very nice)

Quote Originally Posted by josejherring
    I think we're all tired of waring on this one.
    Woodwinds in Vienna are very different than woodwinds in other parts of Europe and America.
    Only the oboe.

The horns are much smaller and less powerful than any orchestra in the world
    VSL offers French horns.

Oboe is a different oboe entirely( I think mostly due to the antagonism towards the French).
    VSL offers a French oboe.

Flutes I think may be wood flutes, ect.
    No I don't think so. Either way, the flutes sound great.

You are seriously misinformed and hardly up-to-date.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast