• Register
  • Help

Topic: Giga Sample Problems

Share/Bookmark

Giga Sample Problems

I am using Gstudio 96 along with M-audio Audiophile 24/96 pci card, Gigabyte mobo, athlon xp2000 cpu, 1 gb ddr 2700 ram, 2 hard drives, msi video agp video, win xp home, sonar 2.2 xl, pmi estonia grand piano, steinway d grandioso. I use a Yamaha clavinova CVP-75 digital piano to trigger the samples. It is a 1995 model that records to onboard floppy disk in a Yamaha midi format called eseq.

My problem is that the samples don\'t sound consistent across the keyboard. Some notes sound good and others are noticeably louder and or ringy. The steinway sounds muffled especially if you try to play a medium velocity. I asked M. Post about it and he said my keyboard doesn\'t play a full range of velocity (1-100) instead of (1-127). I am open to suggestions even buying a newer keyboard. Anyone have any suggestions, I really want to use these samples but with this setup I haven\'t been able to get them to sound the way they should.

BB

Re: Giga Sample Problems

This is a nasty problem. I had similar problems with my Clavinova CVP 20 (even older than yours!). There are several issues:

- It\'s hard to find out if the difference in loudness is caused by the keyboard or by the samples. In my case, I\'m certain that some keys on the clavinova were more sensitive than others. I found this out by looking at the received midi messages on the computer. (although it\'s hard to play each note with the same strenght, for a poor player like me)

- Anyhow, no matter what the cause is, you can use Giga\'s instrument editor to adjust the volume of those nasty notes.

- Also I found the velocity curve poor. None of the the 3 settings in GigaSampler was great.

- My keyboard too was quite insensitive, almost impossible to hit 127

- The last 2 problems can be tackled by using the Velocity curve program. I don\'t have it at hand, so I\'m not sure about the name. It\'s a simple program that converts the midi messages before they enter GigaSample. I downloaded it somewhere from the internet for free.

- In the end I bought another keyboard: GEM equinox Pro. Some of the issues have improved, but the general dynamics is disappointing.

Hans

I asked M. Post about it and he said my keyboard doesn\'t play a full range of velocity (1-100) instead of (1-127). I am open to suggestions even buying a newer keyboard. Anyone have any suggestions, I really want to use these samples but with this setup I haven\'t been able to get them to sound the way they should.

It\'s true the older Yamaha keyboards did not allow a full range of velocities. The new Yamaha S80 and S90 are wonderful controllers. If that\'s too pricey, the Alesis QS8.2 is eighty eight keys, fully weighted and will do the job.

I am considering buying the Fatar SL-880 Pro keyboard. Does anyone have any experience with it for triggering samples? It gets pretty good reviews and is an 88-key piano with weighted action, full velocity range (1-127).

BB

Go Back to forum