• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sonar 3 / XP Pro question

Share/Bookmark

Sonar 3 / XP Pro question

Alright all you Sonar afficionados running XP, I need to ask a favor of you...

In the past I really wanted to get ahold of a stable and seamless audio/MIDI sequencer. Ok, so I install the Sonar 2.2 demo on XP Pro, and feature-wise things are pretty good, but there\'s one major problem: when I open up task manager and look at the CPU usage of \"sonar.exe\" or whatever it is, task manager reads 90-100% CPU. that\'s with a single MIDI track, no audio. Same deal with win98SE.

Now, I know the Sonar \"CPU Meter\" reads 2% or whatnot, but 100% is 100%, and there\'s no good reason for software running on a contemporary OS in the year 2003 to tight loop on the processor. Unless I\'m doing something horribly wrong, but I can\'t imagine what that could be. I have no problem running multiple audio apps at low latencies -- INCLUDING GS96 -- all at the same time on my dinky little 1.8 GHz PIV.

Anyway, I\'ve read about the features of version 3, and they specifically highlight \"more efficient CPU utilization\". Hmmmm, my ears perked up, and now I\'m curious. Here\'s the favor:

1.) pull up a simple 2 to 4 track song in Sonar 3 -- maybe couple MIDI + couple audio, or whatever

2.) open \"Task Manager\" and find the sonar process -- might be called sonar.exe or something

3.) hit play on the shuttle and monitor the CPU usage of the sonar.exe task in the task manager window

Let me know what you find. I may just join your little club if I like what I hear... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

- Keith

Re: Sonar 3 / XP Pro question

Hi Keith,

I tried what you had asked for & my cpu usage was at %100 as well. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I opened a project with only 5 audio tracks & 5 midi tracks. I never had noticed this before. I\'ve never noticed a problem (yet) with Sonar 3. I also run Giga & Acid Pro at the same time & have had no problems.

I\'m curious to see if anyone else experiences the same.

-David

Thanks. To each his own, I guess. If you and everybody else are getting the results that you want, then that\'s what counts, really. BTW, after searching and searching on this I finally found the answer to my question, and it was right under my nose:

http://www.cakewalk.com/support/NGfiles/cpsfaq.htm#CPU_meter

Also, I noticed this behavior way back when I was using Cakewalk Express 8 for MIDI sequencing. I\'m sure they do it as a general rule to maximize their frame timings. In any case, I fear it\'ll cause problems with my rig...

Thanks again,
    Keith

Task Manager has a tendency to show high percentages even when programs are doing barely anything. The CPU meter in Sonar is pretty good at giving you a good idea of actual CPU usage. My computer doesn\'t start running out of juice until Sonar\'s CPU meter reads 90%. Task Manager will show 100% without barely using the program. You really need to go into the Performance Meter and loading up things such processor queueing to get a better idea on performance. I high queue shows that the processor is backing up.

I just played a tune in Sonar 2.2 with 5 audio and 20 midi tracks + dr-008 drums + multiple dxi effects and I get 35% cpu usage (btw my cpu is a xeon 2.4ghz). I just ordered my copy of 3.0 yesterday - can\'t wait for it to get here. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Hi,

last night I was running 15 Midi Tracks along with 5 Kontakt samples - total = 20 now..(In Sonar 3.0 Producer) I was using the reverb effects in all Kontakt samples FYI..
    Running on my 3.2GHZ HT PIV 2 Gigs RAM ddr PC 3200...2 HD 80 gig and 200 gig..

CPU topped at 14%

Alan Russell

Thanks all for your input...

Go Back to forum