• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Village

Share/Bookmark

The Village

The feedback on my first piece encouraged me to work on another.

I humbly post my second one. I named it The Village.

[Edit: here is a link to a 64KB version, thnx for your advice Kevin]

It's my own composition and was sequenced in Sibelius 3.1.3.

I used only GPO instruments (Wooheehh, I like them).
    Even the wind machine comes in at the end.
    My initial intention was to learn how to control the instruments. I know I'm not there yet, but I think I'm getting some control over it.

Thanks for those wonderfull Tutorials which where very helpfull.

Hope you like it.

Gerard

Thumbs up Re: The Village

The brass in the beginning certainly gets the attention! The atmospheric strings and bass clarinet are a really nice touch (could have handled many more bars of that!). Flute runs are nice . . . very realistic.

The tutti hits near the end stretch the believability of the orchestra a bit, in my opinion. Overall, inspiring orchestral colorations, though!

You should consider posting a lower-rate MP3 file (say 64K) for the bandwidth impaired (which could widen your exposure).

cheers! KevinKauai

Re: The Village

Quote Originally Posted by KevinKauai
    You should consider posting a lower-rate MP3 file (say 64K) for the bandwidth impaired (which could widen your exposure).

cheers! KevinKauai
    Kevin.
    Thnx for your kind words . I will try to add a link to a lower quality version later this day.

CU
    Gerard

I'll be frank.

It starts of really well. BAM! Grabs your attention, straight outta nowhere. Definitely had me giving the thumbs-up early in the piece.

But then, it got too synthy. Overdone vibrato, etcetera, sounded like a bunch of samples thrown together.

I hate to be an obnoxious critic or anything; these are my thoughts. Follow the original mood you had in this piece, try to avoid it sounding like a MIDI file, and you're in with a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Sepretod
    I'll be frank.
    Please do as I want to learn from your comments

Quote Originally Posted by Sepretod
    It starts of really well. BAM! Grabs your attention, straight outta nowhere. Definitely had me giving the thumbs-up early in the piece.

But then, it got too synthy. Overdone vibrato, etcetera, sounded like a bunch of samples thrown together.

I hate to be an obnoxious critic or anything; these are my thoughts. Follow the original mood you had in this piece, try to avoid it sounding like a MIDI file, and you're in with a winner.
    The one thing I was aiming at with this piece is getting control over the instrument controls. From your word "synthy" I conclude I haven't succeeded.

I will try to work out your comments. Thnx you. (I want to grow good)

Regards
    Gerard

I don't know about 'synthy' as that gets slung around too much as it is and really doesn't give much insight into what's wrong with it.

But aside from me whining like an old lady...

I thought it was a fine piece. I love the bombastic nature of it. I really hope you do some fine adjustments to it because I think you've got something wonderful in this piece.

Creepy Tim Burton, Danny Elfman, M. Night Shyamalan Village. Remind me NOT to visit that place .

Absolutely fantastic, Gerard. It sounded amazing. Excellent use of GPO.

- Michael
    -----------------------------
    - Michael Fortunato

Thumbs up Re: The Village

Thank you Micheal, Joseph, NeoTypic and Sepretod (and Kevin) for taking the effort to listen and comment on my work. These reflections encourage me to go on.
    Coming weekend I'll try to find out what can be done in "humanizing" in parts of the piece.

Have a nice weekend, you all.

Gerard.

Go Back to forum