• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Garritan Personal Lute & Advanced GPO

Share/Bookmark

Question Garritan Personal Lute & Advanced GPO

see the topic by gary...
    http://northernsounds.com/forum/show...5&page=3&pp=10

Ok it's a joke, but what about ancient instruments?

This list is IMHO something that can't justify a library (yes, the market rule must be respected ;-) but should be perhaps a value adding rare addition to a best selling production...ok, it's crazy, but i want going on dreaming of:

- viola da gamba
    - recorder
    - baroc trumpet
    - renaissance trombones
    - cornetto
    - medieval percussions

and of course...the Garritan personal Tiorba (see the picture )

More seriously, the availability of excellent ancient music ensamble keep it possible to record and sample it, and the soundtracking options created by this sounds are to valuate...anybody knows about something like that?

Re: Garritan Personal Lute & Advanced GPO

I would pay good money for some nicely recorded baroque string ensemble samples. Don't know exactly what I'd use em for...but I 'd buy em!

A collection of period instruments would be excellent. It is sorely needed. I would also like to see some sampled viol consorts, and solo gambas.

Yeah, that would be nifty. I do a lot of Renaissance music, so I guess I'm biased in that regard.

How about a Rackett or two in there, while we're dreaming?
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Dorsch
    I would pay good money for some nicely recorded baroque string ensemble samples. Don't know exactly what I'd use em for...but I 'd buy em!
    The uses are virtually infinite, and extend far beyond the obvious. After all, just look at how people stick all these funky ethnic instruments everywhere without any real purpose to it other than that they like the sound of it.

Thumbs up Re: Garritan Personal Lute & Advanced GPO

Nice, nice ideas, and the play is going serious:

Somebody knows about existing libraries, or it's really a totally unexplored field?

I think that maybe the target is not so wide as for orchestral, but it's certainly possible to imagine a very large application:

folk and celtic music, new age,

medieval time soundtracks, renaissance and barock sound recreation, movies and documentary

entry level renditions of ancient masterpiece or music discovered by musicologist and researcher, acompainement recording for ancient and baroc music students (singers or soloist)...

Some have brought up their celtic desires before . . . I want that penny whistle they use in Lord of the Rings . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Some very good sound library of ethnic and Irish or celtic instruments still exist (harps, fidle, flute, bagpipe and so on...) and mixing it with some manipulated sound of classic instruments is possible to recreate ancient athmosphere.

But the true, pure and expressive sound of real ancient music ensamble is not possible to recreate without authentic samples IMO.

Will ti remain a dream?

Sign me up for Garritan Personal Berimbau.

Actually, a lute would be outstanding. Hard (so many strings!!) but what a sound! And yeah, sackbuts, crumhorns- I'd love that stuff.

Go Back to forum