• Register
  • Help

Topic: Good basic scoring software?

Share/Bookmark

Good basic scoring software?

I am looking for a good basic scoring program. I've always used a sequencer. I have ProTools and Opcode Vision running on a MAC G4. Yes, I still use Vision. It syncs to proTools easily and I've used it forever so I like it.

I have all of my instruments on a PC (Giga, Kontakt, etc). I never used a scoring program to compose, I just used the sequencer. I find now that I want to look at the scores of my MIDI sequences. Suppose I wanted to do a full orchestration. I want to be able to look at the score.

I don't need a DAW, I have ProTools. Is Sibelius and Finale the only route to go or is there something more basic just to produce scores from sequences and play them back to listen from the score?

I thought people that look at this forum probably use scoring programs. Thanks for helping out an old dog to learn a new trick!
    Last edited by lgs; 03-03-2005 at 04:11 PM. Reason: grammer

Re: Good basic scoring software?

I think Overture would fit your needs perfectly. I used it to start the process of realizing Peter and the Wolf that is floating around here somewhere. If Joseph is lurking around here now he would be the one to give you more details on it's use, but let me say that with the new version 4 which is coming out soon, you won’t be lacking much in the way of a great scoring program. I have found it to be a very intuitive program to use.

Good luck,

Karl

Where is Langhorne, PA? I live in Pittsburgh.

Thanks, I will look at Overture.

Lou

Quote Originally Posted by lgs
    . Suppose I wanted to do a full orchestration. I want to be able to look at the score.
    I don't need a DAW, I have ProTools. Is Sibelius and Finale the only route to go or is there something more basic just to produce scores from sequences and play them back to listen from the score?

I thought people that look at this forum probably use scoring programs. Thanks for helping out an old dog to learn a new trick!
    Looking at sequences in notation form can be painful. depending upon how you set up the "quantization" level, it can be close or totally off. The computer will record and notate exactly as you play it - here's an example: what you thought was a quarter note you played, was actually a quarter note tied with a dotted 16th note. and will be produced that way in notation form. etc. You end up doing a LOT of re-editing stuff so it looks decent. Starting out in notation and the working your way to sequencing for editing is a great way to go if scores are important.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Go Back to forum