• Register
  • Help

Topic: Cool Gizmo thingamajig

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up Cool Gizmo thingamajig

Hi!

Sorry I’ve been a little scarce, but I’ve had a lot of fish on my plate recently . I just wanted to pop off a quick post about something that may be of use.

I just bought one of those USB Flash memory things. Highly recommended. Reason: every night, I back–up all my work on the little sucker, take it out and hang it on the wall. Computer spontaneous combustion? NO PROBLEM! Work is safe. I got one that holds 512 megs for about $40. They make 1 gig ones too but they are like $99.

This way, I save all my work until I fill up enough to burn a CD! 512 megs is close to CD capacity! Cool Stuff!

…2112
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Talking Re: Cool Gizmo thingamajig

Hi, Brian - -

Another habit to get into is DVD-RW -- up to 4.7 gig of data and you can add to it. DVD-RWs theoretically support rewriting up to 10,000 times. Pretty neat!

KevinKauai

Re: Cool Gizmo thingamajig

Quote Originally Posted by KevinKauai
    Hi, Brian - -

Another habit to get into is DVD-RW -- up to 4.7 gig of data and you can add to it. DVD-RWs theoretically support rewriting up to 10,000 times. Pretty neat!

KevinKauai
    Well, I have lately developed the habit of saving all my data on a second internal drive, and do backups of the data at least daily. I do a complete system backup whenever I make system changes that I don't want to lose or remember to make again. All backups go to an external USB 160 Gig drive. Pretty fast, and really easy and fast to restore. Occasionally I back up on a DVD, for extra security. Because of this method, when I replaced my C drive, from time of opening the tower to restoring operating system, application software, and data, was about an hour and twenty minutes, of which 45 minutes formatting and partitioning the disk with the recovery partition and user partition. I no longer use System Resore, as this method is fast enough, and I don't have to contend with the possibility of renamed files. And it saves disk space, not currently an issue, but could become one later. After two years, only using about 15 % of my C drive.

Richard

Talking Re: Cool Gizmo thingamajig

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen
    Go to hell, Brian 2112.

Ern

I'm Back!!
    ...And with a vengeance…sheesh….hehe
    Originally Posted by Good ol' Kev: Another habit to get into is DVD-RW -- up to 4.7 gig of data and you can add to it. DVD-RWs theoretically support rewriting up to 10,000 times. Pretty neat!

Yea I got dem dar DVD+-RW thingamajigs too. But I have had many models, and my experience with them is that they are not as durable as CDR or DVDR. A little humidity on a DVD-RW and it is toast – a slight scratch – same deal. Recordable (as opposed to Re-Writeable) is safer in the long run (CD or DVD). There have been articles about this. After about 1 or 2 years, a re-writable CD or DVD’s chemical compound begins to break down.

The USB thingy allows me to store up stuff until I can fill a recordable. Whether the USB thingy will remain reliable remains to be seen…

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Re: Cool Gizmo thingamajig

Well, I guess we could all just develop photographic memories. That way, the only way to loose data is to cut off the top of you r head! :-)

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Go Back to forum