• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO Piano Questions

Share/Bookmark

GPO Piano Questions

Hello. I'm a long-time GPO fan, but not yet a customer.

I'm pretty familiar with what GPO can do (some of you may have seen Soap Opera, which I animated and Godfrey orchestrated), but I haven't heard many samples of the GPO concert grand piano. I'm toying with another personal animation based on "The Old Castle" from Pictures at an Exhibition. I would record it on my real spinet if I had the chops. So I was looking at creating a MIDI recording of it.

I know the GPO piano is bound to be better than what I have available (GarageBand, basically). What I was wondering is whether the GPO piano has the same "special" controls that the rest of the orchestra has. Put plainly, what sort of expression can I get with a keyboard and a mod wheel, that I can't get in GarageBand?

I am buying GPO, sometime... just a question of now or later.

Thanks!

Re: GPO Piano Questions

Since the GPO piano is a melodic-percussive instrument it works just like a real piano. The sustain pedal sustains notes and the velocity (how hard you smack the key) determines the strength of the attack. That's it. Just like a real piano.

Hope this helps and hope you become a GPO groupie,

Karl

Yep - what Karl said. I think it's a lovely sounding instrument. Sure there are other pianos out there, but it's still a fantastic instrument even standing alone. Still amazes me we got it bundled with the GPO.

Piano in action... Nazareth, Arr. Hawksley - Odeon

Best,
    John

I own most of the higher priced pianos but in all honesty, I turn to the GPO piano quite a bit. It has such a rich tone that I would buy it even if it weren’t included with GPO. The fact that it is included makes GPO even more unbelievably cool.

…2112
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Wow, John, that piece was enough to convince me--that, and trying to get a decent sound out of SampleTank. Thanks for everyone's replies.

I was also wondering the quality of the piano in GPO, and now I can wonder no more !!...Very impressive ..... I notice that the ambience is more Concert Hall than ??.....Can the ambience be adjusted to just a "room" sound rather than a "Hall" sound ?.... Can the ambience be adjusted on ALL the GPO instruments ?.....Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack this thead .....Jim

Trust your chops, ZachBG! I had to play The Old Castle in college, definately not the hardest one in the suite.

My favorite is "Hut on Fowl Legs". I'm sure you've heard Ravel's orchestration of this piece. This is the saxophone solo example I try to get people here to listen to hear the difference between jazz and classical sax. But I wander off topic.

I know you from the Hash forum, welcome to this one and I think that GPO, Final Cut Express, Hash A:M, and some way to record audio (I use a Fostex 8 track digital recorder) are all one needs anymore to make their own movies! I wish I would have had all of this stuff in college. I would have been famous.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Quote Originally Posted by synthnut
    I was also wondering the quality of the piano in GPO, and now I can wonder no more !!...Very impressive ..... I notice that the ambience is more Concert Hall than ??.....Can the ambience be adjusted to just a "room" sound rather than a "Hall" sound ?.... Can the ambience be adjusted on ALL the GPO instruments ?.....Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack this thead .....Jim
    Hello Jim, all the instruments are supplied in a 'wet' form which is used for auditioning, and a completely dry form. Gary supplies a pretty nice 'ambience' reverb VST plugin through which you can route each instrument. With a bit of work in the mixer and the reverb as a VST insert effect, you can apply different ambience to each instrument.

I'm just a sucker for the 'cavernous reverb' sound :-)

All this is from a CubaseSX perspective, of course.

-John

PS - if any of you guys decide to buy GPO, and I helped, mention my name to Gary in your order

Go Back to forum