• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: TenCrazy.com MFX SustainFix: Piano or Legato pedal option!

Share/Bookmark

TenCrazy.com MFX SustainFix: Piano or Legato pedal option!

For those of you that can handle MFX plugins (Cakewalk and recent Cubase offerings)...

As of v4.0 my MFX SustainFix plugin allows "Fake Hold Pedal Functionality" to operate on synths that don't normal respond to your hold pedal. This means that you can keep your default GPO Sustain Pedal Mode to affect legato switching, and use this MFX plugin as an insert to allow Piano sustain playing on particular tracks (without having to have two instances of the player on your system).

Give it a whirl if it sounds like you can use it. Download Here.

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Re: TenCrazy.com MFX SustainFix: Piano or Legato pedal option!

You are so awesome! Thanks!

Another very cool plugin from the MIDI Gadget Master!

Your "Fake Hold Pedal Functionality" will be a real help to GPO users who want to use both legato and sustain modes. This is an excellent solution.

Thanks for doing this Markleford!

Gary Garritan

I took some time to try this one out and it convinced me that this thread deserved bumping. If you happen to be using an MFX compatible sequencer (Sonar, CubaseSX) DO NOT MISS THIS PLUGIN. It not only solves the problem of using standard piano pedaling at the same time as the switching function for wind and string instruments, it does it better than the player's built-in sustain pedal mode 1. How is it better? Standard MIDI sustain pedal requires that the sustain pedal data precede the note data so that the proper switching to the sustain layer takes place. Real pianos, on the other hand, let the player depress the sustain pedal at any time, including after the notes have begun. This plugin lets you do that, just like a real piano.

If you are using an MFX compatible sequencer this plugin should now be your first choice for piano work. The only drawback is that, once recorded, the MIDI data must be "burned" into the track by using the "apply MIDI effects" command or it won't playback correctly. In Sonar I used a "key binding" to tie it to a key command so it's a one-stroke action. Other than that extra step this is superior to the standard sustain mode and an extremely clever solution to a long-standing problem. Great work Markleford.

Tom

Markleford - GREAT!

Many thanks for this great utility.

And thanks, Tom, for the tip about applying the midi effect - I am a complete newbie with Sonar and I didn't know this.

Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Quote Originally Posted by Richard N.
    And thanks, Tom, for the tip about applying the midi effect - I am a complete newbie with Sonar and I didn't know this.
    Pssst, hey bud, here's a secret: I mentioned it in the help file! But don't tell anyone else!

And thanks for the props, Tom. If it winds up being in demand by enough people without MFX capability, I'll attempt to roll up a version in an external program-as-filter (MaestroTools-style).

- m

Forgive the ignorance of a complete and utter newbie--but I assume this plug-in is PC only?

I'm getting my first sustain pedal in a few weeks; thanks for the info about how they work in MIDI. No doubt I'd have been tearing my hair out...

Quote Originally Posted by ZachBG
    Forgive the ignorance of a complete and utter newbie--but I assume this plug-in is PC only?
    Unfortunately: PC only.

- m

Thanks for sharing all those plugins with us... They definitely come in handy at some point...

Quote Originally Posted by Markleford
    Pssst, hey bud, here's a secret: I mentioned it in the help file! But don't tell anyone else!

- m
    Ahh - so you did!

I suppose I never saw it in the help file because I had already read it in Tom's post, so never had the need to look for it in the help file because I had already been helped.

I do normally read help and stuff - to prove it, I can confirm that I saw the call-out to all GPO'ers
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Go Back to forum