• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Jeffn1: Looking For Advice On Mixing New Piece

Share/Bookmark

Jeffn1: Looking For Advice On Mixing New Piece

Here is an unfinished mix of my new piece, “Surfing The Solar Winds”: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

I am hoping that I can get advice from some people here to finalize the mix and (after the mix is done) “master” (or “premaster”) the piece in Ozone. I am hoping that the mix will be so close, the mastering will consist largely of using the volume maximizer at a moderate amount (I think using the “intelligent” settings), but I am open to additional thoughts when the time comes (stereo widener?).

I would like to get your input on some good settings within particular tracks in finalizing the mix, especially for compression (which I am clueless about) and reverb (though the sounds on the tracks generally use the reverb setting with the patch, so additional reverb may not be necessary). I already insert some track EQ in various places, but if you have additional thoughts, I would appreciate it.

Here are my thoughts where I need guidance. By the way, at least when it comes to drums and bass, I think Rush is an ideal sound to use as a guide.

Snare

I think I need compression to accentuate the crack of the snare. I am probably going to use the Sonitus Compressor included with Sonar, even though I probably do not need multiband compression. Since I am clueless about how to use it, do you have any suggestions for a setting to use a starting point?

If you think EQ and/or reverb would be helpful (or anything else) to achieve the Neil Peart sound, please le me know suggested settings (again, I think I would use the Sonitus plug-ins unless there is a good reason to look elsewhere).

By the way, the drums are from Drumkit From Hell 2 with full overheads and ambience miccing.

Kick

Do you think it needs compression? If so, suggested settings? EQ? Anything else?

Toms

Any suggestions?

Ride, Hi hats, Crash Cymbals

Do you have any suggestions here? Perhaps some reverb? If so, can you suggest some settings as a starting point?

Synth Bass

I already rolled of the lows here, and tweaked some to EQ settings to reduce a click in the patch. Do you think compression would enhance this? If so, let me know suggested settings.

Electric Bass

As you will be able to tell, the piece includes and electric bass part as well as a synth part (no, not at the same time!),

I haven’t used any EQ, yet. If you have any other thoughts in terms of EQ, compression, etc, please let me know. I guess I should also roll the lows off here.

Other

I have already used some EQ to carve out frequencies so the guitars and strings would not fight each other. I have also tried to use panning to create a nice field of sound (whether I succeeded or not is another issue).

Well, those are my thoughts in terms of finalizing the mix. I appreciate any guidance you can give me. Once I feel the mix is good, then I will ask you thoughts in terms of (pre) mastering.

Thanks for any ideas you have. (I might post this request on a couple of sites to get input).

Jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Re: Jeffn1: Looking For Advice On Mixing New Piece

Hello Jeff,
    Just my opinion here which don't mean much....I listened to most of your demos and for the most part I didn't care for the drum and bass patches and some of the synths are too 80's sounding....On a good note your chops,programming and imagination totally blow my skills out of the water....I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you had some of the newer VI stuff, it would automatically sit better as a mix and your talent would give you a definate edge...Again just an opinion.

Thanks, Moonmusic. Well, I think you can hear some substantial changes from my first piece ("Broken Light") to me newest piece, "Surfing The Solar Winds". I think the synth sounds in the new one do not sound dated (but my older pieces can be criticized on that basis). The synths used include Cameleon, Wusikstation and z3ta+. The drums on the new one are Drumkit From Hell 2. I think it requires additional compression and EQ, but I am not sure where to start.

Anyway, I sincerely appreciate you listening and commenting (I hope I do not sound defensive, I do not mean to). I think the newer pieces (like Equilibirum and Surfing The Solar Winds) have some originality to them, that does not sound like standard progressive rock or any other genre.

Any suggestions in finalizing the mix if Surfing The Solar Wind?

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

I guess it would help with examples of what I mean...I'm a big fan of the RMX Expanders stuff for acoustic drums (you can program your own rhythm tracks if you want which you obviously do) or even the DFH are good...This would give you punchier more realistic drums than whatever box those are coming out of...You could add a compressor plug in on that track if more punch was needed on top of that....For the crunch guitars your using....Check out Monzter Guitars....These sounds great without anything added...Not sure what you used for lead guitar but it sounded OK...I haven't found a lead guitar I like enough that I would recomend to anyone yet....Help this clarifies a little more on what I was thinking anyway....

Quote Originally Posted by Moonmusic
    I guess it would help with examples of what I mean...I'm a big fan of the RMX Expanders stuff for acoustic drums (you can program your own rhythm tracks if you want which you obviously do) or even the DFH are good...This would give you punchier more realistic drums than whatever box those are coming out of...You could add a compressor plug in on that track if more punch was needed on top of that....For the crunch guitars your using....Check out Monzter Guitars....These sounds great without anything added...Not sure what you used for lead guitar but it sounded OK...I haven't found a lead guitar I like enough that I would recomend to anyone yet....Help this clarifies a little more on what I was thinking anyway....

I hear you. Thanks!

jeffn1

Well, you know what they say opinions are like- and I have one!! Feel free to take it or leave it, but:

I think the retro sound you have going is really cool. The song is excellent but it's firmly planted in those old synth sounds. I actually think you should ditch the idea of realistic drums and go totally retro with old Roland type drum box sounds and late 70's analog synth drums. Don't change a thing about the synths you're using. There's almost a Wendy Carlos goes pop vibe there. Or get Stylus and add some modern loop flavor, but go all electronic. That's my take on it. Man, I really like your music.

I just relistened to just the one you asked about so I'll comment on just that one...I think the mix right now sits pretty good for as much that is going on and it is very busy...Everything seems to have it's notch and that gets harder to do the busier the mix...Go check out Monzter Guitars right now for crunch guitar...Again the lead is OK just curious what sample library is it?....And of course your programming shows many years of experience...Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    Well, you know what they say opinions are like- and I have one!! Feel free to take it or leave it, but:

I think the retro sound you have going is really cool. The song is excellent but it's firmly planted in those old synth sounds. I actually think you should ditch the idea of realistic drums and go totally retro with old Roland type drum box sounds and late 70's analog synth drums. Don't change a thing about the synths you're using. There's almost a Wendy Carlos goes pop vibe there. Or get Stylus and add some modern loop flavor, but go all electronic. That's my take on it. Man, I really like your music.
    Thanks, Fred. Although I love synth sounds, I kind of prefer acoustic drumkits. I don't know why, its just a preference.

I guess one thing I need to know is what track processing I should use to get the snare, kick and bass right.

I appreciate all comments (whether you like it or not). Althought specific technical suggestions would be particularly appreciate (like suggested compression settings for snare and kick, etc.)

jeffn1

Quote Originally Posted by Moonmusic
    I just relistened to just the one you asked about so I'll comment on just that one...I think the mix right now sits pretty good for as much that is going on and it is very busy...Everything seems to have it's notch and that gets harder to do the busier the mix...Go check out Monzter Guitars right now for crunch guitar...Again the lead is OK just curious what sample library is it?....And of course your programming shows many years of experience...Keep up the good work!

Oh, I am sorry. I didn;t mean to ignore your question.

The main lead guitar is the Vintaudio Clean Electric Godin guitar, using Slayer 2 effects. The second guitar with the Van Halen type hammer-ons is Slayer 2.

The programming is less a matter of experience (to the extent it works) than perseverance. I have been working on this thing for 8 months!

jeffn1

Yep, I'm a member of the group buy too I'm not out in the studio to look at my list to see what a good ratio is to start at but you should definately let your ears be the final judge....Too much and it's pumping (no punch in that), the fast slow attack makes a difference too....I don't remember where I got it but I have a list of ratios that give you a good starting point for whatever it is your trying to compress-vocals,drums,guitar,etc....Again it's not the FINAL setting but it gives you a good starting point...Anyone one else have one of these types of lists that's internet accessable?....I have one for eq too....Definately helps point in the right direction...For me anyway.

Go Back to forum