• Register
  • Help

Topic: Another converted to GPO!

Share/Bookmark

Cool Another converted to GPO!

Hello all! I've been reading your post and enjoying your music for a couple of months and decided to make the leap to GPO. Even though my current P4 1.5 Sonar2.2 system is somewhat under spec, I thought I'd give it a go and see what happens.

A couple of observations and questions:

First off, I noticed that switching Sonar from WDM to ASIO lowered the levels of my GINA24 output so I left it set to WDM while I'm completing other projects.. Now I anticipated that the VST GPO would not work...but it does ...for now.
    I guess I'll change my system when I finish the other music in progress.

The CC1 control of volume is kind of weird at first since I've always used the CC7 vol & CC11 expression . Has anyone here resisted the mod wheel control and set there GPO for CC7 ?

My PC has 2x512megs of RAM . I assume that 2gigs would yield much better results. Has anyone here have 2gigs of RAM (or more) and what kind of improved performance have you experienced?

I must admit that I am surprised how good the posted mp3s sound. But I'm sure a lot of hours of mousing and trackballing were invested. I'm thinking of buying a midi controller to use with my keyboard . One with knobs faders etc Any recommendations?

Volume level- I'm a little disoriented when it comes to approaching the volume of GPO. It seems very quiet compared to my Giga Studio , Atmosphere,Triolgy and Stylus. Even when I just use my one instance of eight instruments, I'm a little lost as far as the level is concerned .
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm looking forward to exploring GPO's full potential.
    Once again you guys and gals sound great!
    Bosco Adama

Re: Another converted to GPO!

My PC has 2x512megs of RAM . I assume that 2gigs would yield much better results. Has anyone here have 2gigs of RAM (or more) and what kind of improved performance have you experienced?
    Hi and nice to have you aboard! I think I can give you an answer to the ram question. I just had another gig installed giving me 2 gigs. The difference was unbelievable. All I can say is when you get a chance to up to 2gigs do it.

Volume level- I'm a little disoriented when it comes to approaching the volume of GPO. It seems very quiet compared to my Giga Studio , Atmosphere,Triolgy and Stylus. Even when I just use my one instance of eight instruments, I'm a little lost as far as the level is concerned .
    Once you load in and instrument, move the modulation wheel all the way up. GPO relies heavily on the mod wheel for expression. Or, you can adjust the volume in conjunction to a higher level setting for each instrument loaded with the volume control on the kontakt player. But, be careful you don't over do it or you may get distortion during high levels.
    Hope this helps.
    Styxx

The "nod with the mod" You need to nudge the mod wheel on the Kontact player slightly for each instrument to activate the volume control. Unless you do this, it will be barely audible, regardless of the volume knob setting. You don't have to move the mod wheel all the way up; I usually leave it at a middle setting. Just nudge the mod to wake it up, and then the instrument will respond to changes on the volume knob.

Quote Originally Posted by danveach
    The "nod with the mod" You need to nudge the mod wheel on the Kontact player slightly for each instrument to activate the volume control. Unless you do this, it will be barely audible, regardless of the volume knob setting. You don't have to move the mod wheel all the way up; I usually leave it at a middle setting. Just nudge the mod to wake it up, and then the instrument will respond to changes on the volume knob.

Thanks for the welcome and response to my questions!

I understand the usage of the mod wheel cc1 for volume control . It's the overall volume level that seems a little low. I guess there's a practical reason for this I haven't discovered yet.
    Bosco Adama

Go Back to forum