• Register
  • Help

Topic: My new PC is coming together nicely... :)

Share/Bookmark

My new PC is coming together nicely... :)

I've got the important stuff installed, all the OS patches, Sonar4, GPO and it all seems to run great.
    I still have a few more plugins to install... my Antares plugins (Kantos and Mic Modeler) and I want to make sure my system is stable before I install those, because Antares has pretty hideous copy protection that unfortunately has been known to make computers unstable.

Anyway, the Athlon 64 wasn't the night-and-day difference I had hoped for over my old P4 2.4GHz box... having the dual-channel memory and Raptor slightly speeds up sample loading times, but not much.
    I also think that the Kontakt player might prefer Intel CPU's since I'm not seeing much of a drop in cpu utilization while playing GPO, even though I have my A64 clocked to a higher performance rating.

The technical goods, if any of you are computer geeks who are into overclocking.... my Athlon64 is a 3000+, which means it runs at 1.8GHz by default. I spent last night tweaking various options in the BIOS, and finally got it running stable at 2.3GHz (250MHz bus, 3X hypertransport, 5/4 memory divider). I tested it for a while using the Prime95 Torture Test which calculates large prime numbers and that's a good indicator of whether your CPU and memory are stable.
    Then I backed it back down to 2.2GHz just for additional peace of mind. It's still running at the equivalent of a 3500+ chip.

It's a VERY fast computer now, but I don't think Kontakt is too optimized for AMD chips. I'll be putting in a dual-core processor later this year when they're out, so having a true dual processor will definitely help things.

Now I'm installing the REALLY important stuff, like games....

Thumbs up Re: My new PC is coming together nicely... :)

Sounds great! You should be pumping out demo after demo soon. Looking forward to hearing your music. It's a nice feeling having a piece of equipment running top notch. Like a perfectly tuned snare drum, sweet!
    Styxx

Re: My new PC is coming together nicely... :)

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Sounds great! You should be pumping out demo after demo soon. Looking forward to hearing your music. It's a nice feeling having a piece of equipment running top notch. Like a perfectly tuned snare drum, sweet!

Well upgrading the computer was the easy part. Now I actually have to get motivated to write something.

Go Back to forum