• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Symphony No. 1 - - Including my contest piece.

Share/Bookmark

Symphony No. 1 - - Including my contest piece.

Since I didn't make the top 20 I think I am allowed to post my contest piece. It is Movement IV of my first Symphony. I went a much more neo-classical direction with this piece with the exception of the ever present keyboard percussion.
    This piece works best if listened to in order, and I look forward to reading any C&C you may post!

I. Allegro
    II. Slow and Mysteriously
    III. Scherzo
    IV. Allegro con Fuoco - - CONTEST PIECE
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Re: Symphony No. 1 - - Including my contest piece.

I remember listening the at least the first movement before, I can't remember how long ago you posted it, but it was nice to refresh my memory with it. Your instrument use is very unique (at least to me). I love the woodwind orchestration, especially those trills! Unfortunately, I'm far too inexperienced to comment on the piece composition wise, except to say I enjoyed it! (According to my dictionary, both 'inexperienced' and 'unexperienced' are words . . . huh.) Great percussion, love the ending! I'm glad we can now listen to the symphony in its entirity! It is rather large work, and I admire your dedication to it. Even though it didn't win a place in the contest, I hope you can get it performed eventually, I'm sure it would sound great live, especially with that instrumentation! Thanks for sharing!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Thanks, bro.
    I forgot to mention that I had posted the first movement ages ago, but that was before I got my new G5 mac. Now I can load the entire orchestra and play it relatively crackle free.

Ironically (to my own mind), my next couple of projects are going to be scores for animated short films. One is my own and another is a much slower project called "Investigating Jack".

If anyone wants to see my progress on my animation project, click here:

http://www.fupduckonline.com/colonists/index.html
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Jess,

Always very nice to hear. I am amazed by your composition speed and quality!

Do you exclusively use Human Playback+GPO for the rendering of your pieces?

Is it straight from notation, or if not, how much expression/MIDI tweaking is there?

Robert

It's all Finale HP and GPO. The only tweaking I do is to use "Incorporate" function and raise or lower some levels in specific places. I keep "Automatic Expression" on and I have the hairpins set to 100%. I can't tell you how big of a fan I am of the HP function.

I know there is a big debate about the speed of the Mac Finale, but let me tell you, on a G5 PowerMac I don't see a problem.

Have you heard my woodwind quartet? I think the HP really shines on it. I had the first movement performed and the HP sounds right on what I remember the real guys doing.
    Jess Hendricks
    Personal Website

Very nice piece, Jess. I like your style... I like your style a lot. I wish that I could view the score.

Symphony movements did not seem attractive to the judges for the GPO contest, but I think that we all "won" in a sense even if we didn't place. I submitted a scherzo to the contest and did not place. But my scherzo did make it to the showprogramming site, and the score can be viewed from the Finale showcase under Classical:Romantic.

It really is nice to put together a four movement piece and say that you are "done" with the piece. In regards to my scherzo, I have to make extensive changes to the other three movements. You see, I wrote the piece 35 years ago, but now recognize that the scoring requires extensive improvements. I have made the proper repairs only to the 3rd movement.

Cheers and good luck with continued composing!

David

Quote Originally Posted by jesshmusic
    Have you heard my woodwind quartet? I think the HP really shines on it. I had the first movement performed and the HP sounds right on what I remember the real guys doing.
    Yes, it is a wonderful piece. I so much like the overal athmosphere and harmony!
    HP indeed does a great job serving your music (which is its primarily goal!)... I hardly believe it myself!

Robert

Funny thing is, the best way to get a good HP performance is also the best way to get a good performance by real performers. Leave no doubt as to your intentions. I was taught to give the performer as much information as possible. Dynamics, expressions, articulation etc. should be notated as much as possible, because a performer cannot be relied upon to do that themselves.

This is especially true in modern music, because the classical music was so cut and dry that performers could assume a lot of the dynamics and articulations by the feel of a phrase. Nowadays we have unusual phrasing, rhythm, and articulation. HP does a great job if the composer does a good job scoring the piece. Thanks for the work you have done with it!
    Jess Hendricks
    Personal Website

Jess,

It's great to hear some longer pieces and I really liked this one. I think the real test of a composer is to create a longer work that maintains the listeners' interest throughout.

I don't feel I'm in any position to give you compositional advice (I'd gladly accept some) but from a production standpoint I believe I heard some distortion in a few of the louder passages so perhaps you might look at bringing down the master volume.

If you have a chance please listen to my contest subsmission and give me any suggestions you might have about the composition (it was posted here 2 days ago). I'm working toward the goal of writing longer pieces.

Thanks. All the best with your next symphony.

Thumbs up Re: Symphony No. 1 - - Including my contest piece.

I too am impressed with the speed at which you produce such work. I enjoyed your symphony, and I like your use of mallets. But I have to say that my favorite piece of yours that I've heard still remains the trio for flute, bassoon, and piano you posted a longish while back. (I just bumped it as a matter of fact. Believe it or not, I've had awful login problems since about October, so I have only just started posting again the last day or so).

Rich
    Richard Galbraith

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast