• Register
  • Help

Topic: How to Create Effect Plug-ins?

Share/Bookmark

How to Create Effect Plug-ins?

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knew how I would go about making guitar effects plug-ins, like distortion and wah. I'm working on a project and I'd like to actually create my own effects. Anyone have a clue? What type of software would I need? Thanks for the help.

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Re: How to Create Effect Plug-ins?

What system you on (Mac or Win)?

I can point you in the right direction

A good sounding distortion is not easy (it has yet to be done!) though it is not hard to get a "hard clip" sound. "Wah" will also take some work as it involves filters, lfo/midi control ...

"What type of software would I need?"

A compiler and a VST or AU (Mac) SDK.

I think that your first effect should be a "Volume Control".
    Aaron Clark, C/C++, J2EE, Flash, Perl and PHP programming.
    Logic Pro 7.0.1, G5 1800x2, 3 Gig ram, GPO and GOS lite.
    My site: http://www.clarkaudio.com
    Where I work now: http://www.blinex.com/

Have you tried Synthedit?

Myself and Robert from www.audio-labs.net created this plug-in:

This is a compression plug with a slight coloring distortion, works in any VST environment such as SAW Studio, Cubase, Sonar, etc.

I'll see if I can get him to chime in with some of the details and point you in the direction of the software and tutorials needed.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Ah, Tourniquet, where for out thou Tourniquet. If only thou should grace my precense and allow thyself to be installed on my DAW.

The official Steinberg VST SDK can be had by letting them know your name and email address at this URL:

http://www.steinberg.net/DocSupportD...ID=&Product_ID=

proceed to 'read the agreement' at the bottom of the page, agree with it on the next page, and then they email you access to their FTP site which has some other goodies too.

Oh and you will need Visual C++ as well!

If i ever need a highly customizable "wah" heres what i do. It depends on what host program you use. I do this in Fruitystudio...

add a parametric EQ plugin (the fruitystudio one is what i use).

raise or lower a frequency bands' level.

Now automate the frequency selector for that band and simply create a lfo pattern (usually sine).

You can of course create other patterns, have multiple, bands doing different thing, automate the amount. Depends on what you want really.
    Grim Fandango explained jazz to me.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the help. I'm really starting to get excited about this project that I'm working on.

Unix, I am using Windows XP. Any help would be gratly appreciated.

I just downloaded Synthedit. It looks like a pretty neat little program. I'll have to delve into it a bit more. Thanks for the tip Joseph.

Alan, that is exactly the type of thing that I am looking to create. Tourniquet looks awesome. How did you do that? :-)

Low, thanks for the info. I filled out their form and have downloaded their software as well. Thanks alot.

Ohno, Thanks for the post, That may come in handy when I go to work on the wah effect. Can you assign the automation to a controller, like a mod wheel?

Now, let me ask, will any C++ compiler work, or do I have to use Microsoft's Visual C++. I really hope not because I don't have a grand to drop on this project right now. I appreciate all the help guys and would really like any more imput that you can give. This is my first solo foray into the programming world, and it's great that so many of you are willing to help.

Thanks,
    Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Go Back to forum