• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: OT: A Bite from the Apple

Share/Bookmark

OT: A Bite from the Apple

There is an article in Forbes Magazine about the recent activities of Apple Computer.

Apple has recently won a court case to force several weblogs to disclose their sources on information they published regarding unannounced Apple products. The company argued that the Web sites were not protected by free speech because they are not legitimate members of the press.

Apple argued that Web sites and blogs do not have the protection of free speech under the U.S. Constitution First Amendment because they are not "legitimate members of the press." Usually journalists, protected under First Amendment free speech, do not have to disclose their sources. According to Forbes Magazine "the definition of journalism is rapidly changing. 'Traditional' media like print newspapers, broadcast news and weekly magazines years ago began being augmented and in some cases supplanted by "new" media on the Web."

The court ruling, if it stands, may have a chilling effect on not only blogs, but perhaps online communities as well. The times they are a changing.

Further erosion of free speech or reasonable protections?

Gary Garritan

Re: OT: A Bite from the Apple

I was under the impression that free speech was the right of every citizen, and not only of 'members of the press'... how odd.

Quote Originally Posted by jc5
    I was under the impression that free speech was the right of every citizen, and not only of 'members of the press'... how odd.
    Not really. Slander, among other things is arguably not constitutionally protected.
    Apple could argue that information distributed as being from an “inside source” could be used as a tool for industrial espionage (also not legal). But where we draw the line is a very fragile thing.

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Since when in the past decade did anyone really have free speech? Free speech is for those that can afford it and the lawyers to protect their right to it.

Apple's legal team has for a long time taken a bully tactic philosophy in order to further Apple's cause (it seems to be working).

Now lets see how OT I can take this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jc5
    I was under the impression that free speech was the right of every citizen
    It was till the citizens (in general) stopped carrying guns (citizens 2nd Amendment right).
    Aaron Clark, C/C++, J2EE, Flash, Perl and PHP programming.
    Logic Pro 7.0.1, G5 1800x2, 3 Gig ram, GPO and GOS lite.
    My site: http://www.clarkaudio.com
    Where I work now: http://www.blinex.com/

I love Apple, but this is sick, sick, sick.

Well, apparently not all Apple folks are happy with this:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02...stop_bullying/

ck

Somehow Apple has been able to portray itself as a leftist hippie company (via slick marketing)... what they're doing here, and especially the comment about free speech not applying to blogs, certainly seems 180 degrees counter to that whole idea.

They're looking like Microsoft all of a sudden.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    They're looking like Microsoft all of a sudden.

Funny you should say that...
    http://www.forbes.com/technology/per...ml?partner=rss

Go Back to forum