• Register
  • Help

Topic: OS X - Creating a new user DAW account for DP/GPO

OS X - Creating a new user DAW account for DP/GPO

I hope some of you can help me.

I'm currently using DP 4.52, GPO, Stylus RMX, and Ivory. Last night, I created a new user account, hoping that my performance will be better (I have a 733 G4).

HOWEVER . . . in that new account, when I tried to run DP, it wouldn't validate GPO, RMX, or Ivory - I needed serial numbers, new authorization, and/or DP couldn't find the VI.

What do I need to do so that I don't have to reinstall or reauthorize everything? Is all the info I need in my previous (main) user prefs or audio folders? If so, what can I safely copy or drag over (???) to the new DAW account?

This must be easy to do, but I can't figure it out.

Re: OS X - Creating a new user DAW account for DP/GPO

Permissions issues can get tricky in OS X, and I don't think you're likely to see significant performance gains with a new user account. Are you just trying to automate turning certain services on or off, or different Energy Saver settings?

I don't know how all of your apps will respond to adding a new account after they've been installed, but I think with certain copy-protected apps you need to create the all the accounts that you want to have access to the program BEFORE installating of the program. Also, make sure that applications and plug-ins are installed into the shared Applications folder and /Library/Audio/Plugins folder, not the ones in your user folder.

If you insist on creating a new account and/or moving things around, get to know the Ownership & Permissions feature in the Finder's Get Info window. Also make sure you fix permissions with Disk Utility or better yet, from Single-User mode - the utility script called AppleJack is great for automating disk repair (fsck), permissions, cache cleanup and other maintenence tasks...you can find it at www.versiontracker.com.

That said, I hate to tell you but a 733MHz G4 is going to have a really hard time delivering satisfactory performance out of any of the VIs you listed. Before you spend any more money on software I suggest that you consider saving up for a new computer or at least a fast G4 CPU upgrade (you can get up to dual 1.8GHz now for that computer).

of course, raw processor speed alone can't overcome the limited memory bandwidth of these older macs - and memory speed is also critical to VI performance.

Hi, Brian.

Thanks for the fast reply.

Yes, I was hoping to optimize performance just a bit by having a separate account, but perhaps this won't help much. Some posts I read suggest creating a minimum new account (no startup items, no pref panes, etc.) to help performance.

That being said, of course you are 100% correct about my dino-Mac. With 1 instance of Ivory and 1 RMX, my system is literally gasping for air. Add a GPO flute, and...well...my Mac is at the bottom of the pool.

I'm saving my pennies. When the new G5s are announced, I hope to be near the front of the line.

Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by bmonroney
    (you can get up to dual 1.8GHz now for that computer).

Hi Brian,
    My Mac G4 is a dual 1 ghz machine. Are you saying that I can buy a new "CPU chip" (or two since it's a dual processor machine) and simply replace those two chips, and it will then be a Dual 1.8ghz machine?
    Also, since it is a dual processor Mac, does that mean that it has two physical CPU chips, or is it just one?

Thanks for your help Brian!
    I have always admired your knowledge of Macs and dp.

Go Back to forum