• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Some stupid questions about Overture

Share/Bookmark

Some stupid questions about Overture

I know this has come up a ton of times before, but….

Does anybody have a rough time frame for Overture 4? I know it’s been posted here in the past, but what are the main improvements? How will it compare to software like Finale? Last but not least, is there a discount for those of us who have GPO?

(I’m going to get a good notation package in the very near future, days, not weeks…)

Thanks
    Trent P. McDonald

Re: Some stupid questions about Overture

Well, Oveture 4 is still a ways away. A few weeks, a couple of months. There's still some important beta findings at this point. I'd say May. The biggest improvement is direct VST integration. You will no longer need GPO Studio to host GPO. And you can host your own effects and other VST instruments that you may need. Want to run GPO with some Waves plugins, go for it. I'm not sure how much information I should divulge, but the VST integration is common knowledge since the press release from NAMM.

The VST integration is a joint effort between Geniesoft and the developers that made GPO Studio, so its quality stuff. There's also direct recording from within Overture 4 as well. There's also improvements to the midi and over all notational abilities of the program. Easier keyswitching, easier access to the piano roll, easier edits, great humanizing features, and on and on and on.

The upgrade from GPO is currently around 300 bucks I think for Overture 3. I expect that to go up about 50 bucks or so. The upgrade from Overture 3 to 4 is going to be around 50-100 dollars. However, there is a grace period if bought close to the time Overture 4 is released, you get the upgrade to 4 for free. I wish I could divulge all the great new additions to 4, but I'm not sure I'm allowed. I'm a fan of the program, but if you're even remotely satisfied with Overture SE, I'd say go for version 3 and upgrade to 4 if you can't wait.

Thanks Joseph. I haven’t used Overture SE as much as I should – for one thing, I don’t think it can’t handle the 70 odd tracks I’d want to throw at it. I’ve come across a few things that I haven’t been able to figure out – I’m sure they are there, just haven’t found them yet. I also haven’t taken the time to do more than just glance through your wonderful tutorial.

Anyway, eenie (go with a huge name everyone seems to use), meeney (go with the other big name everyone who doesn’t have eenie has), miney (go with the third brand that I’ve at least played with and has some loyal support), moe (sit here in indecision for a while longer), I guess I’m still no closer to making up my mind.
    Trent P. McDonald

Yeah, if there's one thing I understand its that people are very loyal to their audio applications. I personally don't care what I use as long as it gets the job done. But I do remain loyal to those developers that I feel represent themselves as a cut above the rest. So that's why I'm in the camp I'm in. Take that as you might. Of course, I also like the underdog.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Yeah, if there's one thing I understand its that people are very loyal to their audio applications. I personally don't care what I use as long as it gets the job done. But I do remain loyal to those developers that I feel represent themselves as a cut above the rest. So that's why I'm in the camp I'm in. Take that as you might. Of course, I also like the underdog.
    Hey Joseph - this is a bit off topic - but is there a way to view the page in OVERTURE not as a PAGE, but as a a continuous score? I have looked, but didn't find the answer. In Finale, you have two view modes - Page view, and "scroll" view, which displays everything as one continuous score.
    Thanks man,.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

And by the way - all the new features in overture sure sound appealing. I really love Finale - but it's slowness in OSX is just about unbearable.

I haven't worked with a lot of stuff in overture, but assume it doesn't get bogged down like that when working with larger scores?

Jerry

Wahoo - 400 posts!!!!
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Joseph, will Overture 4 have the ability to import Finale files? If so, they've just made a sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W.
    Hey Joseph - this is a bit off topic - but is there a way to view the page in OVERTURE not as a PAGE, but as a a continuous score? I have looked, but didn't find the answer. In Finale, you have two view modes - Page view, and "scroll" view, which displays everything as one continuous score.
    Thanks man,.

Jerry
    I know there's a button on the lower left...it offers 3 options: page, scroll horizontal, scroll vertical; both 'scroll options' offer continuous rather than discrete pages. I don't know what the button's called, but you should find it no problem...

I think this is what you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by gardibolt
    Joseph, will Overture 4 have the ability to import Finale files? If so, they've just made a sale.
    Not sure about that, I'll have to refresh my memory when I get home from work. (yeah right, like I actually work at my day job )

I know Overture 4 can import Music XML files which can be exported from a variety of softwares.

Sounds like Overture 4 is more of a sequencer than a notation program! Sounds like some powerful stuff!

Chris

Go Back to forum