• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Topic: Overture!!!

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Overture!!!

    Well, here I am trying to work out some string parts for our lovely and talented string babes and I really didn't want to give them the same awful printouts from Sonar that I always do. And then it hit me- I have Overture!! It's bundled right in with GPO. The icon is right on the desktop. How cool is that!!! It's perfect for what I'm trying to do. Ain't life grand!!

    That's all I wanted to say

  2. #2

    Re: Overture!!!

    And check out my old and ragged tutorials if you need any Overture SE help.

    Shameless plug, I'm sorry.

  3. #3

    Re: Overture!!!

    Both Overture, and Joseph's ragged old, well, you know, both need to be plugged!

    Overture rocks, as does Joseph!
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com


  4. #4

    Re: Overture!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    Both Overture, and Joseph's ragged old, well, you know, both need to be plugged!

    Overture rocks, as does Joseph!
    Aggreed - I just spent the hour or so it took to go over the two biggies (tutorials). And I am impressed. The Graphic window is just great! I had no idea Overture let you edit things just like a sequencer! Now if there were only a way to enter notes similar to the "speedy" method in Finale. (numbers on the keyboard represent note values (i.e. 4= eighth note, 5=quarter note, 6= half hote, etc) while you play the desired pitches with the midi controller. I know there is the step method in Overture - but you have use the mouse to keep on switching values. If I could get a speedy note entry method in Overture - (or similar), I would be hooked for good!

    It sure is different than Finale - but I am concvinced that I would get just as used to the function as I did with Finale.

    Way to go, JB! The tutorials are great.



    Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

    My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com


  5. #5

    Re: Overture!!!

    Whoops - I just tried to play around with step input and the keyboard key shortcuts are there, just as in Finale's Speedy note entry - just different keys respresent different values and such - in Overture there actually is more immediate control over these variables in Step Entry than in Finale's Speedy note.
    OK - It's official I am hooked!!
    Well, let me see how easy or hard lyrical management is with this thing before I get ahead of myself.... Everything so far seems very logical and well laid out - (as does finale, in my mind) It is different than finale - but still makes sense the way it works.

    WAHOO!



    Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

    My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com


  6. #6

    Re: Overture!!!

    Man, why haven't I been using this?? Overture rawks!! I've heard horror stories about some other notation programs (*cough* Finale* but Overture is totally intuitive. A couple glances at the help index has anwered almost all questions. My music looks like a real composer wrote it when you print it out

    I will be checking out the tutorials, though. I'm a power user!!

  7. #7

    Re: Overture!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W.
    Whoops - I just tried to play around with step input and the keyboard key shortcuts are there, just as in Finale's Speedy note entry - just different keys respresent different values and such - in Overture there actually is more immediate control over these variables in Step Entry than in Finale's Speedy note.
    OK - It's official I am hooked!!
    Well, let me see how easy or hard lyrical management is with this thing before I get ahead of myself.... Everything so far seems very logical and well laid out - (as does finale, in my mind) It is different than finale - but still makes sense the way it works.

    WAHOO!



    Jerry
    Jerry...
    My 15 years with Finale ended when I got Ove with my GPO...please do download the latest 3.6.1 updater. Not sure if you are a PC user or a Mac'er.

    And if you think Ov 3.6 is cool, JUST WAIT!!!!!!

    Lyrics are easy in 3.6.1. I am doing a score for girl singer, 2 euphoniums, and two tubas this week--lyric entry & management is a snap.
    It is quite a different workflow from Finale and I still suffer from Notation Confusion Syndrome from time to time on both packages. A client or 2 still insists on Finale, but I have switched others to Ov without complaint

    And if you think Ov 3.6 is cool, JUST WAIT!!!!!!

    There is a forum at http://geniesoft.com/forum for your questions

    ...and did I say if you think Ov 3.6 is cool, JUST WAIT!!!!!!??
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

  8. #8

    Re: Overture!!!

    And on top of all that, Don (the guy who writes the code and runs the show over there in Overture-land), is an extremely cool guy, as are Joseph, Jim and the other beta testing folks. And in this crowd, I know that everyone is as enthusiastic as I am about supporting people who are good human beings.

    Embarrassingly, I've been so busy on TCC and other stuff that I've not made the kind of contributions that I'd like to on the beta effort. Nonetheless, I'll second what Jim just said:

    I can't tell you what Don's up to on the new version. All I can tell you is that you're reeeeelly gonna want it when they're done!
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com


  9. #9

    Re: Overture!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by snorlax
    Jerry...
    My 15 years with Finale ended when I got Ove with my GPO...please do download the latest 3.6.1 updater. Not sure if you are a PC user or a Mac'er.

    And if you think Ov 3.6 is cool, JUST WAIT!!!!!!

    Lyrics are easy in 3.6.1. I am doing a score for girl singer, 2 euphoniums, and two tubas this week--lyric entry & management is a snap.
    It is quite a different workflow from Finale and I still suffer from Notation Confusion Syndrome from time to time on both packages. A client or 2 still insists on Finale, but I have switched others to Ov without complaint

    And if you think Ov 3.6 is cool, JUST WAIT!!!!!!

    There is a forum at http://geniesoft.com/forum for your questions

    ...and did I say if you think Ov 3.6 is cool, JUST WAIT!!!!!!??
    Thanks, Jim. I am a mac guy - I have the latest update installed.
    The biggest reason I want to switch is the speed issue - Finale for OSX is soooooo slow when dealing with large scores - heck, even a mid sized SATB with piano score gets bogged down if there are lyrics in place - something having to do with the redraw screen thing - but it really stinks. I truly love finale - I can work EXTREMELY fast in finale. But not if finale isn't faster than I am.
    My biggest fear is what you referred to earlier as Notation Confusion Syndrome. Notation entry in Finale has become second nature with me - I find Overture quite a bit awkward right now - but with practice, that should change. Finale's way of doing things is hard-wired in my brain right now.

    Just out of curiosity - seeing how Ov4 is in beta testing, (and I know this is probably unanswerable) but how soon is an expected target date for release of v.4?

    Thanks a bunch for the vote of confidence in Overture. As a creature of habit, I hate change - but - my patience is wearing thin. Finale in OS9 was lightning fast on a decent G3, other companies including Adobe, etc all were able to create OS X apps that were spiffy, why couldn't MakeMusic!?



    Cheers

    Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

    My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com


  10. #10

    Re: Overture!!!

    I have been trying out the Sibelius demo. One night I decided to try out the free software provided with GPO. After a week or two, of testing Overture SE, I placed my order for the full version of Overture.

    Using Overture SE in combination with GPO and Samplitude V8 (my latest addition, and probably the best DAW I have ever used) is wonderful.

    I have heard rumors that there will be a very good (free???) upgrade to Overture 4 when it is released, if you purchased Overture 3 after Jan 1, 2005.

    Is this true?

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •