• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Blind leading the Blind.

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs down Blind leading the Blind.

Nothing worse than working on music till 4 am the next morning only to have the director and choreographer sit there without a clue what you've done.
    Make sense? Probably not because I am quite tired this morning.
    Make a short story into a novel. I was walking down the street one day ... Sorry, wrong story.
    Me woiksk on several pieces in the second act of our show. Mainly, took careful attention to the major musical number "Merry Old Land Of Ozzy and Harriet". Thinking, hey the choreographer claimed she was going to do the dance sequences so I had to put them in. The director instructed to leave the music as is.
    So, Sunday comes and it's rehearsal time and time to teach the cast the song. We start, and the director and choreographer ask, "why is this so long and how come the vocal parts are so far apart?" I pointed out to them in the score where she is to do her choreography. Her reaction was, "oh, I'm not doing that it's not what I remember from the movie!" Arrrrrrrrrggggggg! Looking to the director and choreographer I reminded them (using my notes) at our last meeting I had specifically asked about this exact number and we discussed the details!
    What really developed was simple on both their sides. Neither one of them did their work! So, now it's back to the program and cut and paste.
    I wonder what its like to be a part of a professional top notch Broadway musical. Just once I would love to be a fly on the wall during the meetings, planning, rehearsals and everything else involved. Why did I tell you this? Why do you ask two dogs … Oops, that’s another story. Because I like you that’s why and now it’s off my chest.
    This is definitely my last year. So, another dream bites the dust, do do!
    The Blind (Director) leading the Blind (Choreographer). What do you want from two that can't even follow a simple vocal score?
    Styxx

Re: Blind leading the Blind.

I sympathise with you, Styxx.

From what I understand, it's no different, sometimes, in TV and movie land. You've got directors and producers, each with strong and varying influences playing tug-o-war with your art.

One thing I do, right from the start, is decide "who's the boss?"... and give them the final word or opinion.

A collaborative venture can be as frustrating as rewarding... I hope you're getting paid for this gig...
    Steve A. Gallant

www.SteveGallant.com

Hey Styxx, didn't you say something about last year being the last year. You remind me of the smoker who says, "I can quit any time I want. I quit 10 times last year."

You know you don't do it for the adults. You do it for the kids. Because when the blank hits the fan, on opening night, no matter what happened before, the electricity… oh the electricity, and the kids that afterward run up and hug you and say. "Oh thank you Mr. Styxx. It was so much fun." And you know that no matter what troubles you may have had, that by doing this musical you have touched young lives in a way that will leave wonderful memories in their goofy little brains for many years to come.

This is your way of making the world a little better. Think about quitting next year when you have another altercation.

Karl

The Director is the boss but what kills me is we discussed specifically how we were all going to arrange the big number in the second act. The choreographer was complaining there is really no big dance numbers in the whole musical and that she needed it in to give the cast something to shine. Bottom line, she didn't do her job.
    Yes, I do get paid.
    Styxx

Perhaps demanding that YOU be included in these discussions would help putting everyone on the same page in these production meetings ?..... This way EVERYBODY know's what their job is , or isn't ..... EVERYONE will then know who dropped the ball ..
    Vent here, but also vent to the people that caused the problem too !!...
    "the squeaky wheel get's greased " .....Sincerely, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by BermudaFlyer
    From what I understand, it's no different, sometimes, in TV and movie land. You've got directors and producers, each with strong and varying influences playing tug-o-war with your art.
    Anytime you're in a collaborative situation you're bound to run into this kind of trouble. A few years ago I worked on a TV show called Diabolik. It was an internationally produced series (and wound up only playing in France, where it was hit, whoopteedoo) and had six different producers. Not producers working together, mind you. Six SEPARATE producers.

Each one of those producers had a different agenda. By the time I got a script back, I had five pages of notes from each of the producers, all wanting different things changed. So my (and my co-writer's) job was to figure out how to make EVERYONE happy. Needless to say, it was hell.

So, Styxx, I understand your frustration and sympathize greatly. But unless you want to go it alone, get used to it...
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

Quote Originally Posted by synthnut
    Perhaps demanding that YOU be included in these discussions would help putting everyone on the same page in these production meetings ?..... This way EVERYBODY know's what their job is , or isn't ..... EVERYONE will then know who dropped the ball ..
    Vent here, but also vent to the people that cau sed the problem too !!...
    "the squeaky wheel get's greased " .....Sincerely, Jim
    Thank you for your kind words. However, if you read again you will find that there are three of us on staff and yes I WAS AM ALLWAYS included in the discussions. EVERYONE knows his or her respective jobs and everyone KNOWS who dropped the ball!

Karl, They asked me back this year because there was literally no one who was available for the position living in the area. This Director came back after being away for two years and now has decided it wasn't what he wanted after all. I have more pressing projects coming up this summer. Yes, this is my last year.
    Styxx

Gee Styxx, I've never seen you this worked up before, buddy. I know, how about a joke!!

Two drummers walk into a bar....

...which is funny because you would think that the second one would see the first one hit the floor!!

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

The only way to successfully deal with a collaborative situation is to go into complete and total CYA mode. That means papering your collaborators with emails "confirming" your understanding of what they've agreed to do. It doesn't always help, but it prevents a lot of the issues that you've just experienced. And you can always wave the piece of paper in front of them as you launch into a tirade, which I always find entertaining.

Talking Re: Blind leading the Blind.

Well, I guess you are all right. As a matter of fact, the whole world's crazy but you're OK!

Thanks for the joke. (Hate to admit it but I was the second drummer)
    Styxx

Go Back to forum