Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Age prejudice.

Share/Bookmark

Angry Age prejudice.

OK, no more venting! I am through.
    Styxx

Talking Re: Age prejudice.

You sound like a bitter old man!

Cheer up bro! Spring chickens like you always lose out to those old folks! Your right it's not fair!

Cheer up!!

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Re: Age prejudice.

What kind of age prejudice? When I was younger we would visit my grandparents in Tennessee, and I had to sit at the kiddy table while my parents and aunts and uncles all had fun at the adult table! And I had to go to bed early. And I couldn't eat all the ice-cream I wanted. Now I can do it all! (Except the adult table thing . . . they still don't want me sitting with them )
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Some people you discriminate, do so because of their own insecurities. Age is simply a tool that measures the span of someones life on this planet. How old can you be anyway? It isn't like you are 80.

Beeson

[Disclaimer to all you young guys - please don't be offended, as this is just pragmatic real world stuff that you probably already know anyway. ]

Sal,

In order to be less subject to age discrimination, you have to understand why it exists.
    1. Older guys typically have more experience in their field and therefore cost more than younger guys.
    2. Because of experience, older guys have more street smarts and are therefore harder to take advantage of than younger guys.
    3. Each new generation needs to carve out their own space. In America, this is done by devaluing the old so that the young appear in a better light.
    4. The flip side of this is that if the young didn't devalue the old, they would be at a disadvantage due to their lack of experience.
    The first two points give companies and organizations a financial incentive to go with young over old. They cost less, and it's easier to BS them into working 80 hour weeks with no overtime pay because they don't know any better. Why on earth would they want to hire a more expensive older guy who's also harder to BS or intimidate?

Because of this, many older people go to great pains to try and appear younger, both physically and culturally. That only makes them look weak and stupid. Want to deal with the realities of age? Play to your advantages.
    1. Avoid marketing yourself to youth when it requires competing with them on their own terms. I don't write rap music for 18 year olds. Not because I deem the music inferior, but because I'd look stupid if I did. I'm not 18. I also don't compete in markets that want young, cheap, inexperienced labor. I did my time working for minimum wage, thanks.
    2. Instead, market yourself to a demograhic that desires quality and experience, so that instead of apologizing for being old, you can brag about it, and charge more.
    3. Embrace the experience of being a senior rather than a junior. I shave my head bald. I proudly refer to myself as "one of the old dogs". I also don't sit at the folding card table at Thanksgiving. If you ever allow yourself to apologize for being old or in any way communicate that you acknowledge the cultural limitations that the aforementioned things impose on you, then you will appear weak. If you're weak, young or old, nobody wants you. Be old! Be bold!
    Remember, you may not get as many gigs as the young guys. But if you play to your strengths as an old guy, you'll work 10 hours to make what they work 80 to get. You can then spend the other 70 hours being a mentor to the young guys with enough street smarts to appreciate your hard earned wisdom and experience. And who knows, in the process, you might even change the world.
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Neo,

Well said, man. Discrimination of any type is actually stupidity in a very thin wrapper.

Excellence is about the individual, not the stereotype. Nonetheless, when you step out onto the streets, it is what it is. You need all the tactical advantages that you can get to combat the small mindedness of others. Life isn't fair.

And that's why the last line is there about serving as a mentor to those who don't have as much road behind them yet. That's something that I personally do on a weekly basis, so that the younger guys I know don't get screwed by the stereotypical realities that you just mentioned.

I'm an equal opportunity warrior.
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen
    So guys like me that made a living as pop/rockers out of necessity before straying into writing instrumental music are left out.

Ern
    You played rock & roll???

Clearly, you are an evil, evil man and should be punished!
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by neoTypic
    I simply told her that if one less person had to suffer through what I did then it would be worth it. I'm a survivor; I'm a strong person by nature.
    Part of many ancient civilizations' code of honor was that the strong should protect the weak. Nice to know that it hasn't been lost.
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by neoTypic
    My own mother couldn't understand why I would put my neck on the line for some things.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -- Edmund Burke
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

hi, i'm new here....

as a singer, songwriter, dancer still hoping to "Break" into the business....i feel you. but i have always thought of myself as ageless...i didn't start moshing until i was almost 40...didn't figure out what i wanted to be when i grew up til i was in my 30's.
    so how old do you think I look?

Go Back to forum