• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: ASIO Multiclient - M-Audio - RME HDSP9632

Share/Bookmark

ASIO Multiclient - M-Audio - RME HDSP9632

Hi,

I know this has been discussed before but I have not been able to read a complete discussion from this particular perspective.

I have an M-Audio Audiophile 192 card. I am using Guitar Rig and GigaStudio 3 and also Reason. When I go to use Guitar Rig and Reason simultaneously it will no let me use the ASIO client for both applications. The only way I could get them to work simultaneously was to use a different driver type for one of them. I think I used an MME driver? I might be wrong and I am not at my music computer at the moment to double check. But that is not really the question.

I have seen come up in discussions that no audio card supports multiclient ASIO. Is this true? The driver spec was never written to support this. I thought I read that the RME HDSP9632 was a true multiclient card and that multiple applications could use the ASIO driver simultaneously with this card. Does anyone know if this is true? Does anyone have any bad experiences with this card?

Isn't multiclient a misnomer? Shouldn't it really be multidriver instead if you can only use one ASIO application at a time with this driver.

I am most interested in the RME HDSP9632. It might be my third card in about 6 months. The Echo MIA Midi card I had first had all kinds of problems. And the M-Audio Audiophile card I now have I find has issues with the S/PDIF jacks not working with GigaStudio! And now finally, you can not use the same low latency ASIO drivers with different applications running simultaneously. I'm about ready to jump of a bridge. So before I spend another 500.00 dollars on a card I think it would help to have any answers anyone can give on the above questions. I think it would help allot for my decision to buy the RME card or not. Much appreciation in advance for any help/guidance.

Thanks,

Damian

Re: ASIO Multiclient - M-Audio - RME HDSP9632

Quote Originally Posted by Daysean2
    Hi,

I know this has been discussed before but I have not been able to read a complete discussion from this particular perspective.

I have an M-Audio Audiophile 192 card. I am using Guitar Rig and GigaStudio 3 and also Reason. When I go to use Guitar Rig and Reason simultaneously it will no let me use the ASIO client for both applications. The only way I could get them to work simultaneously was to use a different driver type for one of them. I think I used an MME driver? I might be wrong and I am not at my music computer at the moment to double check. But that is not really the question.

I have seen come up in discussions that no audio card supports multiclient ASIO. Is this true? The driver spec was never written to support this. I thought I read that the RME HDSP9632 was a true multiclient card and that multiple applications could use the ASIO driver simultaneously with this card. Does anyone know if this is true? Does anyone have any bad experiences with this card?

Isn't multiclient a misnomer? Shouldn't it really be multidriver instead if you can only use one ASIO application at a time with this driver.

I am most interested in the RME HDSP9632. It might be my third card in about 6 months. The Echo MIA Midi card I had first had all kinds of problems. And the M-Audio Audiophile card I now have I find has issues with the S/PDIF jacks not working with GigaStudio! And now finally, you can not use the same low latency ASIO drivers with different applications running simultaneously. I'm about ready to jump of a bridge. So before I spend another 500.00 dollars on a card I think it would help to have any answers anyone can give on the above questions. I think it would help allot for my decision to buy the RME card or not. Much appreciation in advance for any help/guidance.

Thanks,

Damian

Damian,
    Hi. I don't know if it's true but it would be interesting to test. Currently my machine is similar to where I think you're going:

HDSP 9652 - GigaStudio 3
    AP2496 - not doing much right now
    MidiSport 2x2 - GigaStudio MIDI input

The AP2496 was doing MIDI input for me but it's currently just sitting in the machine. I can run Battery or Reaktor on it at the same time that I run GSt on the RME.

Maybe I should try running Battery and Reaktor at the same time using the HDSP 9652? Don't know if it would work though.

- Mark

Have you considered using WDM drivers? From my experience the Mia and Audiophile work better using WDM drivers.

Hi,

WDM works better? In what way? Yes, I believe I am using the WDM drivers because that is the only way I could get both programs to work simultaneously. I think I'm using the ASIO drivers in reason, and the WDM drivers in Guitar Rig. I thought I experienced some latency issues with the WDM drivers tho. I will repost after I can check this out so I'm not sure. I would be intereseted to know what you found the WDM to be better with (latency?).

Also, I just found something interesting about the Audiophile 192 card yesterday. It looks like the only? card in M-Audio's line up that is not ASIO 2 rated. Interesting..... I did some research and I found some where that the ASIO 2 rating allows multiple applications to simultaneously use the ASIO drivers. So I guess this is my issue. Ironic, I pick the only device in M-Audio's line up that doesn't do what I wanted it to do. Please note I have also posted to this forum another issue with this card. No S/PDIF output for GigaStudio3.

Also ironic is that the Audiophile 2496 card does have an ASIO 2 rating and is about 50 bucks cheaper!!!! Go to there web site and check it out.

The other sad thing is I spend the better part of day yesterday trying to check out different cards but nothing looks like it does what I wanted it 2. I think the RME cards are closer but I'm not sure I want to spend close to a grand to get everthing the way I wanted it. There was an e-mu card the 1212 I think but I heard that it didn't have GSIF drivers. Boy, I never thought getting the right sound card would be such a pain in the ~~~.

My understanding is that the phrase "multi-client" is applied to MIDI only, not to audio or SPDIF I/Os.

BTW, I also looked at the E-Mu cards until I discovered they have no GSIF drivers, nor are likely to - ever!
    People have been asking for GSIF drivers ever since the cards came out.
    But Ichi, (an E-Mu employee) admitted in a post on the unofficial E-Mu forum, the reason for the non-appearance of the GSIF drivers is a political one.
    This is such a shame since these cards have AD and DA convertors superior even to the RME cards and equalled only by the Lynx2 cards.
    I guess that E-Mu would sure sell a lot more 1212m's if they developed GSIF2 drivers.

Seems like I was wrong!
    Google brings up plenty of articles on multi-client ASIO.

Quote Originally Posted by Daysean2
    Taken from rme website :

RME has just released new W2k/XP ASIO multi-client drivers for the Hammerfall and Hammerfall DSP series. These are the news:

- ASIO multi-client operation. Of course you still have to make sure that all applications use exclusive channels on playback. So Cubase on 1 to 6, Wavelab on 7/8, Samplitude on 9 to 14, Reaktor on 15/16...or whatever you like. INPUTS are fully multiclient, so you can even use the same channels on different ASIO programs (this feature is also used for the new DIGICheck, which uses an ASIO interface for full record/playback multi-client operation, see below). And of course all applications have to use the same sample rate.

http://www.rme-audio.de/english/info/04_03.htm

JGS

Thanks everyone for the posts. I was doing more research yesterday on my setup and cards and here is what I found.

I have to use ASIO in Guitar Rig and DirectX MME drivers in Reason to get them to work simultaneously (even when they are using different i/o's). The latency with the DirectX on Guitar Rig was too much so I had to switch. I was using the ASIO drivers in Reason before.

I was doing alot of research yesterday on sound cards. Yes, the RME website is actually where I saw information regarding how those cards can do ASIO simultaneously with different applications. I later saw something somewhere were this was a capability of the ASIO 2 specification. This seems to be accurate because if you check M-Audio's website they list this card (just this one card for some reason!!!!) as having ASIO drivers. If you look at all their other cards they are listed as ASIO 2.

I also thought RME didn't really have a card for me but I think I found my answere. It is the DSP9632 Hammerfall card. It has just the right inputs/outputs for me. At 599 it is a bit expensive, but I think I will have to bite the bullet as I really want the addition of the ADAT optical and the S/PDIF ports. I want to send it to my Digi002 console. I can't find any other cards that have this with the ASIO2, GSIF2, etc. Plus, everyone has good things to say about these cards on here so I guess this is my next move. I'm going to visit a local Sam Ash or Guitar Center today to see if they actually have these hanging around or if they have to be ordered. If not, I guess an order on musicians friend is next.

I do have one question tho. I understand the concept of Word Clock but what I don't understand is the practicle application of it. In other words, do I really need this? This is the only thing missing from the 9632 card ( I know that an add on board can be purchased for Word Clock. This is another nice touch to these boards, there expandable).

My setup is one computer with ProTools LE with the Digi002 console. I have a second computer where I was planning on having all my different applications like, GigaStudio, GuitarRig, Reason, etc. I would use the sequencer in Protools and just trigger everything with Midi. I'm kind of new to this but am technically very astute, so i usually can pick up the concepts quickly. Is this old school so to speak with the midi triggering this? I know I can also use some of these intruments as plugins within Protools (I beleive GigaStudio is an exception). Is there some better way via Word clock to do the triggering? Or having word clock in this type of setup is not really necessary/required? Is there anything I could do that would be an advantage if I did use Word Clock which I can't accomplish now without it?

Thanks again,

Damian

World Clock is only a reference clock for all digital audio transfers (spdif, adat, ...). It provides ALL the different digital material with the same reference clock and resolution (44.1, 48, 88, 96, ... KHz).

It is aimed at syncing all the gears simultaneously so digital jitter doesn't occur anywhere in the line.

It has nothing to do with midi or sending datas. Only syncing.

If you have enough cash to get the RME addon clock with the 9632 you better get it.

JGS

Jgsirac,

I understand what your saying. I could have phrased the question better I think.

What I was trying to say was it seems from what I have read that the S/PDIF channels (which is what I am using) already contain word clock information. So it would seem redundant that you would have another seperate connection for doing syncing using the word clock input/output on the RME card or other card if it is already being word clocked/synced via S/PDIF.

I read this about word clock and s/pdif at the following url: http://www.globalmusicresource.com/s...software3.html

Thanks,
    Damian

Go Back to forum