• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Please...

Share/Bookmark

Question Please...

Hello everyone! I'm a newbie composer.
    I just want to know how GPO works. It is VST, right? What really is VST? Does it work with any VST-supporting program? Is there a way to make own VSTs?

Thanks

//D

Re: Please...

Hi, and welcome here.

You’ll be glad you dropped by.

I’ll leave the question of what is VST to someone with more technical expertise than I, but let me just say that You don’t have to have anything other than a reasonably fast computer, Mac or PC, and you can run GPO. Everything you need is in the box. You just load and play. It’s almost that simple. The only problem is that once you get going you will want to spend so much time playing that you will never want to do anything else again, like fill out your tax return, which I should be doing right now.

So bye and good luck,

Karl

Thanks alot !!

I think I'll buy it.
    I have 2.6ghz, 768mb RAM and XP Professional edition.
    Is that enough?

//D

Welcome to the forum, Don Vercetti!

VST to my (somewhat small) knowledge, is basiclly a MIDI signal that is routed through a VST instrument (GPO being one of them), the audio that comes through that VST instrument goes into the VST channel mixer, where you can insert audio effects and such, and from there it goes out to your sound card. What's really cool about it is that you get to insert both MIDI and audio effects!
    Just imagine: Distortion violins!!!!!!
    Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong in my understanding of VST.

There's also DXi, which is like VST, except from the MIDI going to GPO, the audio from GPO goes to an actual audio track in your sequencer. I perfer DXi because it's easier to understand for me.
    And don't overlook GPO studio, which is lined up with all your hardware sound modules.

I have no clue as to how to make your own VSTi, but I'm sure you can do it somehow (but not with GPO).

Hope this helps!

Reguards,
    Chris

Thumbs up Re: Please...

Vercetti is Sold on This!
    Styxx

I just saw your next post.
    That's not quite enough RAM to load the entire Steinway piano, but it'll be good for an orchestra. I would really recomend the full gig of RAM. I have a gig of RAM and I can barely squeeze in there an orchestra in fours (three flutes and a picc, three oboes and an English horn, three clarinets and a bass clarinet.....etc......)

But by all means, buy it!
    I have another post in a thread that I just typed up. It's at this section of the GPO forum under the thread entitled 'GPO user feedback'. It's at the top of the list at the moment. I'm post #11 on the second page.

Reguards,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    V erctti is S old on T his!
    hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

Took me a while, but I got it!
    VST!

hahahahahahah!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Vercetti
    Thanks alot !!

I think I'll buy it.
    I have 2.6ghz, 768mb RAM and XP Professional edition.
    Is that enough?

//D
    A big virtual hand for Don. A little more ram wouldn't hurt. But your computer should be fast enough.

Now it's back to taxes no, it's back to Texas. Ahhhh that's more like it.

Karl

Hahahahaaa

You guys are cool! My first impression of this place couldn't be better!

Thank you so much everyone!

//D

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Garrett
    A big virtual hand for Don. A little more ram wouldn't hurt. But your computer should be fast enough.

Now it's back to taxes no, it's back to Texas. Ahhhh that's more like it.

Karl
    Wait, wait, wait, wait, WAIT!!!!

Don't you live in PA?

Go Back to forum