• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: What do You think of this book ?

Share/Bookmark

Question What do You think of this book ?

What do You think of this:
    3rd edition of Paul Gilreath's "The Guide To MIDI Orchestration" ????

any comments are welcome

Re: What do You think of this book ?

Just an observation, but you can get a fantastic amount of information out of Northernsounds by using the search function. It's very good, and relatively painless. 'Gilreath' would be a good bet to try.

Steve

Red face Re: What do You think of this book ?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rees
    Just an observation, but you can get a fantastic amount of information out of Northernsounds by using the search function. It's very good, and relatively painless. 'Gilreath' would be a good bet to try.

Steve
    Sorry, I sipmply forgot about the Search...

No probs It's worth using bigtime though. The archives of this site has an absolute goldmine of information on all sorts of subjects if you go looking for it.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rees
    No probs It's worth using bigtime though. The archives of this site has an absolute goldmine of information on all sorts of subjects if you go looking for it.

Steve
    You're right man ! I've found huge bunch of info

Nothing wrong with asking again. Maybe some people bought the book since then and may have a new opinion.

Well, if you're after just one or two snippets of information now and then, I'm sure you could hunt it down on NS, sift through all of the search results, read through all of the posts (and there is a lot of garbage posted too), make a call on what is opinion and what is fact .... and hopefully find what you want ... and you probably will.

But if you're after a very comprehensive and structured overview, buy the book.

I did, and it is a very enjoyable read. Stacks of information, well presented. There are some sections which I don't think are necessary ... such as the developer interviews, or Paul's guide to his own studio. Probably more suited to novices or people who have been at it less than 5 years .... I doubt the people are professional midi orchestrators and have "lived" on here for more than 5 years would get much out of it though.

You'd have spend an in-ordinate amount of time searching NS to garner the same level of information ... and I don't agree that browsing NS is that much fun (not that Steve suggested that ... but others have when this has been discussed in the past.)

I was merely suggesting that doing a search ABOUT the book would be a good idea. I wasn't suggesting doing searches INSTEAD OF buying the book.

My general comment was really to encourage people to use the search function, since many questions have been asked many times before, and there's a lot of good information about if you go and look for it.

Nearly every library out there has received an in depth analysis somewhere in this forum. That also goes for books, effects, hardware, mixing techniques, whatever. There have been some great lengthy contributions by many members. Simply relying on new threads to give all the best information will mean that people miss out on that legacy of information, since some of those members that have made sometimes lengthy contributions on subjects in the past will fell disinclined to post that information all over again a few weeks later.

Just trying to help people get the most out of this forum.

Steve

Wink Re: What do You think of this book ?

I think that after doiing some SEARCH (Hi Steve), I'll go maybe for the Adler's Book 3rd Edition.... but i did not decided yet.

I just finished reading it recently and I recommend it 100%. Very informative and very practical--particularly on various MIDI editing techniques to make your MIDI orchestration sound more realistic and expressive.

Go Back to forum