• Register
  • Help

Topic: How to prevent looping? (for sustained notes)

Share/Bookmark

How to prevent looping? (for sustained notes)

I'm just learning GPO. Using the standalone player (and I would imagine as a VI also), when I hold a note down (for example, using a violin), I can hear the note looping over and over.

How can we get a longer sustained note without the looping sound (I guess it's the sample retriggering)? Is there a simple way? A trick?

Suggestions from experienced orchestrators would be great!
    Thanks.

David

Re: How to prevent looping? (for sustained notes)

Quote Originally Posted by David Collett
    I'm just learning GPO. Using the standalone player (and I would imagine as a VI also), when I hold a note down (for example, using a violin), I can hear the note looping over and over.

How can we get a longer sustained note without the looping sound (I guess it's the sample retriggering)? Is there a simple way? A trick?

Suggestions from experienced orchestrators would be great!
    Thanks.

David
    I don't really think there is a way to get rid of the looping - that is simply how the sample is. You would have to record very long sample notes (in the manner of VSL) that would not need looping to avoid this.

In a thick orchestration, with a good reverb applied the loop point will be somewhat masked, but I doubt much can be done for exposed notes... just write very engrossing music so the listener is too entranced to notice.

David,

Thought I should mention that Violin 1 (Gagliani) is looped within the sustain part of the sample, while Violin 2 (Stradivarius) and Violin 3 (Guarnarius) are looped at the bow stroke. With these latter two instruments you are limited to the bow stroke time as played by the violinists at the original recording sessions. With the first instrument you can do more extended note sustains (although you may still detect the loop points, depending upon the note and context). This approach was chosen because the waveform modifications necessary to make the second and third violin loop successfully within the sustain portion of the wave damaged the character of the instruments too drastically. A good rule of thumb in all things sampled: write to the strengths of the samples, avoid the weaknesses. You'll get your best results that way. Not so different from writing to the strengths and weaknesses of real players, except the list of things to avoid is often a different list.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    David,

Thought I should mention that Violin 1 (Gagliani) is looped within the sustain part of the sample, while Violin 2 (Stradivarius) and Violin 3 (Guarnarius) are looped at the bow stroke. With these latter two instruments you are limited to the bow stroke time as played by the violinists at the original recording sessions. With the first instrument you can do more extended note sustains (although you may still detect the loop points, depending upon the note and context). This approach was chosen because the waveform modifications necessary to make the second and third violin loop successfully within the sustain portion of the wave damaged the character of the instruments too drastically. A good rule of thumb in all things sampled: write to the strengths of the samples, avoid the weaknesses. You'll get your best results that way. Not so different from writing to the strengths and weaknesses of real players, except the list of things to avoid is often a different list.

Tom
    Darn that guy Tom is scary good, or maybe it's the wine from dinner.

Karl

Karl,

You got it *almost* right. The correct phrase is "scary good for nothin'."

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    Karl,

You got it *almost* right. The correct phrase is "scary good for nothin'."

Tom
    Hey Tom,

You know, you shouldn’t talk like that. There is another thread going on around here about discriminating against old people. Folks might get the wrong idea. We old guys just got to be nice to each other and especially nice to ourselves, since the younger one’s just might not be.

Karl

jc5 and Tom - Thanks very much for helping. Tom, thanks for the info about the difference among the instruments.

Writing "around" the looping should be easy to do. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing some obvious method of cheating!

Thanks.
    David

Go Back to forum