• Register
  • Help

Topic: Opinions on grand piano samples

Share/Bookmark

Opinions on grand piano samples

I am looking into the possibility of using a giga sampled piano (such as the bardstown bosendorfer) with an external midi keyboard with very realistic action. However, I am not sure my hardware will be able to deliver the low latency required to play in real time.

So, first, is there any place I can download a piano sampled in the giga format so I can test my hardware setup? Perhaps a demonstration sample that only covers one octave of the keyboard.
    Second, my plan is to run midi cables into my souncard and output the sampled piano through the optical out into a hiFi sound system. But, my card is not GSIF compatible, which means I'll have to use Rewire if I'm using Gigastudio. Is it at all possible to get a low enough latency this way? I assume I'll need something on the order of less than 10ms of latency to play an external keyboard in real time?

Thanks,
    -C.

Re: Opinions on grand piano samples

Quote Originally Posted by cmwck
    I am looking into the possibility of using a giga sampled piano (such as the bardstown bosendorfer) with an external midi keyboard with very realistic action. However, I am not sure my hardware will be able to deliver the low latency required to play in real time.

So, first, is there any place I can download a piano sampled in the giga format so I can test my hardware setup? Perhaps a demonstration sample that only covers one octave of the keyboard.
    Second, my plan is to run midi cables into my souncard and output the sampled piano through the optical out into a hiFi sound system. But, my card is not GSIF compatible, which means I'll have to use Rewire if I'm using Gigastudio. Is it at all possible to get a low enough latency this way? I assume I'll need something on the order of less than 10ms of latency to play an external keyboard in real time?

Thanks,
    -C.

Cm,

can you tell us your present hardware. CPU, RAM, Soundcard Hard Drives etc.. I don;t think an octave is really going to test throughly your present hardware. I'm sure that Kip McGinnis can guide you here..Why not call him and inquire. 1-800-814-0820
    He's quite friendly and knowledgeable.

My present gear is on my webpage below..

Alan Russell
    Please Visit My New & Revised Official Website Below

http://AlanRussell-Music.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Russell
    Cm,

can you tell us your present hardware. CPU, RAM, Soundcard Hard Drives etc.. I don;t think an octave is really going to test throughly your present hardware. I'm sure that Kip McGinnis can guide you here..Why not call him and inquire. 1-800-814-0820
    He's quite friendly and knowledgeable.

My present gear is on my webpage below..

Alan Russell
    Sure. Here's the setup I'm thinking about turning into a Gigastudio sampler.

AMD Athlon XP 2200+ (1.81 gHz)
    768 MB DDR RAM (333mhz)
    Hard disk #1 is an 80gb Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 7200 RPM (Ultra-ATA/133)
    Hard disk #2 is some older 5200rpm ibm drive i think.
    Current sound card is a chaintech AV-710. Whoops, just realised this card doesnt even have midi in. I have a soundcard built into my motherboard which has a game/midi port on it though, but I have that disabled.

I suspect my system currently lacks support for low-latency midi. Let me see if I have this straight. To get low/zero latency midi, I would need a GSIF-compatible card AND that card has to have midi-in built into the card? This is what I'm getting out of the Gigastudio FAQ.

Thanks,
    -C.

768 MB DDR RAM (333mhz)
    Current sound card is a chaintech AV-710. Whoops, just realised this card doesnt even have midi in. I have a soundcard built into my motherboard which has a game/midi port on it though, but I have that disabled.

I suspect my system currently lacks support for low-latency midi. Let me see if I have this straight. To get low/zero latency midi, I would need a GSIF-compatible card AND that card has to have midi-in built into the card? This is what I'm getting out of the Gigastudio FAQ.

Thanks,
    -C.
    I very much appreciate your interest in the Bardstown Bosendorfer Imperial Grand Model 290.

Basically your computer is very adequate and has sufficient power in order to run the Bardstown Bosendorfer. The only recommendations I have would be for you to add a 7200 RPM hard drive for sampled instruments, including the Bosendorfer. This could be added as a third drive to your computer, or you could swap your 5200 RPM drive for a 7200 RPM drive.

You do need a sound card and midi in and out as well. Preferably it would be best to get a sound card that has midi in and out, rather than having a separate USB midi device. A $200 to $300 sound card with midi, such as one of the M-Audio cards in this price range, would provide you with decent quality. A $599 RME card, such as the HDSP 9632, would provide you with very high quality sound plus midi in and out as well.

Quality audio hardware and software samplers are available for sale from Bardstown Audio as well, in addition to Bardstown Audio sampled instrument products. I am available seven days a week for orders, customer service, and tech support, on all products purchased from Bardstown Audio by both telephone and email.

Kindest regards,

Kip McGinnis
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

Latency is solely determined by the soundcard drivers, not the system.
    The best latency is achieved with a soundcard with midi ports using GSIF2 drivers.
    Both M-Audio and Echo audio make cheap soundcards which may satisfy you, especially if you only need one midi IN.
    If you need 2 midi IN ports, get the RME HDSP 9652.

If you want to test out some Giga pianos, PMI has several here about halfway down:
    http://www.postpiano.com/tests/Index.htm
    These playable demos expand to about 800MB and will give you an idea what to expect.
    (BTW, I have no affiliation with PMI )

PMI, Vintaudio and sampletekk among other companies, have wonderful giga pianos.
    I have never tried the Bardstown grand, but have heard great things about it.

Quote Originally Posted by meroveus
    Latency is solely determined by the soundcard drivers, not the system.
    The best latency is achieved with a soundcard with midi ports using GSIF2 drivers.
    Both M-Audio and Echo audio make cheap soundcards which may satisfy you, especially if you only need one midi IN.
    If you need 2 midi IN ports, get the RME HDSP 9652.

If you want to test out some Giga pianos, PMI has several here about halfway down:
    http://www.postpiano.com/tests/Index.htm
    These playable demos expand to about 800MB and will give you an idea what to expect.
    (BTW, I have no affiliation with PMI )

PMI, Vintaudio and sampletekk among other companies, have wonderful giga pianos.
    I have never tried the Bardstown grand, but have heard great things about it.

Yup, just found that 800mb demo.
    I am pretty much sold on the idea of the PMI pianos, either the Old Lady or the Emperor. I really like the half-pedal support. It seems that these pianos are the only ones out there that actually support such a basic function as pedaling half-way or pedaling after a note has been hit.
    Now, if only it had una corda
    However, I understand that a temporary fix is to link the pedal to velocity and a slight low-pass filter. Has someone done this allready or do I have to do it manually?

-C.

I am looking into the possibility of using a giga sampled piano with an external midi keyboard with very realistic action.
    And what MIDI keyboard would that be?

Lawrence
    Melodialworks Music
    Music for Relaxation and Inspiration
    www.lawrencelougheed.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lougheed
    And what MIDI keyboard would that be?

Lawrence

That's the problem, I can't really find one. All the keyboards ive been looking at either have crappy action, or have great action but come with thousands of dollars of stuff that I don't need, such as a cabinet made of gold, 50 inch speakers, plasma LCD displays, cdrom drives, dvd player, etc...

The Kawai MP9500 has been recommended, but now that its been discontinued, I can't find it ANYWHERE. No online store carries it, and nobody has been selling it on ebay for at least a month.

Someone also suggested the doepfer PK88 (http://www.doepfer.de/home_e.htm). This looks perfect, but I have no idea
    what the action feels like. The keyboard is designed with hammers under the keys. wierd. Has anyone used this keyboard, and would the action be acceptable for a advanced pianist who needs the action to be very near identical to a real grand piano?

-C.

A lot of people swear by the Yamaha KX88. Haven't played one myself in years. Another possible eBay find is the old Kurzweil MIDIboard. I remember just loving the feel of it, and it's a reasonably versatile controller for its vintage. Of course, they're hard to find these days.

768 MB DDR RAM (333mhz)

Thanks,
    -C.

Hello again,

As far as Ram goes, I'd max it out to 2 Gigs if Possible. There is a lot of background program demands especially if one is connected to the I-net while sequencing..(Viral issues has us all in a bear hug today)

I like the Echoaudio products for the GSIF card...Get a multi-channel set box. I use the old Echo Layla24.

CPU for me is at least a 3 gig..I do use PIV 3.2ghz. Samples outside of looped keyboard synthy samples require a hell more power especially when they are 24 bit..

Your Hard drives should be a minimum at 7200 rpm..therefore that 5200 rpm is quite questionable..The second drive should be at least 300 gigs these days..I do use all of Maxtors products..I get it all from ZipZoomFly.com

Stay in touch..make the right inverstment the first time, the second one can be quite costly..

Alan Russell
    Please Visit My New & Revised Official Website Below

http://AlanRussell-Music.com

Go Back to forum