• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: GPO Academy Application - Draft

Share/Bookmark

GPO Academy Application - Draft

I just wrote up an application form and quick instrutions for filling it out. I'll put them up in a separate post. If you have any comments, additions, etc. please let me know.

We're having a blizzard up here tonight and my snow blower broke I've been shoveling by hand for the last hour or so or I would have posted this sooner. I can hear the wind roaring now...
    Trent P. McDonald

Re: GPO Academy Application - Draft

GPO Academy Application

Note – this application is to be used to help the placement of students with instructors, not as a basis of enrollment – all are welcome.

Student’s Name

e-mail address -

Course of study or topics of interest

Any preferred instructors? -

Type or style of music student would like to compose

Level of formal music education

Level of informal music education

Do you prefer group classes or private lessons (note – private lessons may not be available at this time)?

Do you want this information kept private (note – e-mail address will be private except where need for class assignments)? –

Comments -
    Trent P. McDonald

Instructions for filling out form:

The easiest way to work with the form would be to copy and paste it into a word processor program. On a PC you can highlight the text, press the Ctrl-key and the “c” key at the same time. Open a document in your word processor and either click the “edit” menu and then paste or press the Ctrl-key and “v” on your keyboard. On a mac …

Student’s Name
    – Real and/or name on the GPO forum. Both preferable.

e-mail address
    – e-mail address may be needed by some instructors. With your approval other members of a group class will be given the address. Beyond that, we will not give away or sell your address.

Course of study or topics of interest – Can be a long or short description – i.e., you can write “Harmony” or you might put in “I need help on the chapter in Schoenberg’s Harmony book about modulation to various circles.” You can also put multiple entries in here. If you do use multiple entries, please put the classes you would like near the beginning of the list. If there is a particular class offered, please name it.

Any preferred instructors? – If you really want to work with one of the instructors please use his or her name.

Type or style of music student would like to compose – Can be general – “movie music” – or specific – “strict serial music in the style of Berg”. Listing favorite composers might help. Although our instructors should be helpful no matter your style, this help avoid a student who wants to learn 21 century styles being placed with an instructor who favors 18 century music.

Level of formal music education – You can list classes or degrees. You can list instrument instruction. Any formal training in music you have received can be written here.

Level of informal music education – Did you learn piano on your own and can sight-read a Beethoven sonata without a problem? That goes here. Even if you are not proficient, anything you feel is pertinent in putting you at the level you belong should go here – books you’ve read, etc.

Do you prefer group classes or private lessons (note – private lessons may not be available at this time)? This should be self-explanatory. If you want private lessons for some subjects and group for others, write that here. You can also write “it doesn’t matter”.

Do you want this information kept private (note – e-mail address will be private except where need for class assignments)? – This isn’t a business, just individuals who care enough about our community to want to give something of themselves. In other words, we will not sell, share, etc. your information. However, we may, with your permission, want to share some information amongst the other students in your class. Most likely not, but if you want to be sure everything is kept private please say so here.

Comments - Any additional comments you want to make.
    Trent P. McDonald

Where do these get sent?

Hey, Trent.

Just a thought in support of your efforts. It would be a very straightforward exercise for someone, perhaps Fabio, to put up a web page with this information on a form. The submit button could then generate an automatic email containing that info to all appropriate people, i.e. whoever looks it over and matches students with teachers. If you could make your criteria for which teacher utilize drop down menus (combo boxes) instead of free form data entry, then the page could even determine which teacher(s) the email should go to.

One of the advantages of a web page / email system is that you don't have to worry about cross platform document management between Mac / PC / Linux systems. But of course, since I'm a techie by nature this is just how I think. This idea might be more trouble to you guys than it's worth, but thought I'd toss it out there for you just in case it's of use.

Anyway, I think the GPO Academy is an excellent idea - you guys are going to help a lot of people!
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Where do these get sent?
    Good question! That's one thing we'll have to decide. Maybe we'll follow Christopher's suggestion - I could make the front end HTML form no problem but somebody else would have to do the back end.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd
    Good question! That's one thing we'll have to decide. Maybe we'll follow Christopher's suggestion - I could make the front end HTML form no problem but somebody else would have to do the back end.
    If you use ASP or ASP.NET, I could shoot you some code snippets to paste in for the email generation. There's not really that much to it.

There's also ways to do it with Javascript / VbScript as well, but I lack expertise in that area.
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    If you use ASP or ASP.NET, I could shoot you some code snippets to paste in for the email generation. There's not really that much to it.

There's also ways to do it with Javascript / VbScript as well, but I lack expertise in that area.
    I could do it in Perl if I had the time.... It's been a while since I did any programing. Not sure where (or if) it will be hosted...
    Trent P. McDonald

Ah, you're a programmer. Not that much to it, really. You submit an html form, and the page that receives the post (typically the same page) simply takes the form data and uses it to format the address list, subject and body of the email.

How you instantiate the email object depends on the platform you're on and what email support is installed there (CDONTS, etc.), but it's not rocket science. Basically just a matter of building a couple of strings, setting the email object's attributes, and calling the DoIt() function.
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    How you instantiate the email object depends on the platform you're on and what email support is installed there (CDONTS, etc.), but it's not rocket science. Basically just a matter of building a couple of strings, setting the email object's attributes, and calling the DoIt() function.
    not rocket science ?!?
    Steve A. Gallant

www.SteveGallant.com

Go Back to forum