• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Need Opinions On A Computer To Use GS With

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation Need Opinions On A Computer To Use GS With

Hi there... I'm a musician ready to leave the soundfont world and jump into the GigaStudio world as I've heard nothing but great things about it. I'm going to buy a new computer for all my musical needs and I want to make sure the one I have in mind is up for the GS challenge. Here are all the specs...

# Chaintech V915P Intel Socket 775 ATX Motherboard
    # Intel Pentium 4 540 3.2Ghz Processor
    # Intel Socket 775 CPU Cooling Fan
    # Ultra 512MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory
    # PowerUp 400-Watt Power Supply

It's a barebones system. If you would like to see the website where it's listed for more info, the address is: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...275&CatId=1643

I'd be putting a Creative SoundBlaster Audigy Platinum in it for the sound card and two Maxtor hard drives. I have yet to pick them out so I can't tell you the specs on them. Also, an HP CD-RW will be going in it. That's all I can think of that is relevant.

Your opinions would really help me out as I desperately want to get back to writing/recording soon. Please keep in mind that I'm not a rich man and only have about $900 to spend. Half of it on GS. I'm a poor musician :-)

Thank you in advance.

Re: Need Opinions On A Computer To Use GS With

I love GigaStudio 3, but if you are a "poor musician" you should also consider the cost of sample libraries to use with GigaStudio.

Also, does the Audigy have GigaStudio audio drivers (GSIF or GSIF-2)?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Hines
    I love GigaStudio 3, but if you are a "poor musician" you should also consider the cost of sample libraries to use with GigaStudio.

Also, does the Audigy have GigaStudio audio drivers (GSIF or GSIF-2)?
    I've seen the prices of the sample libraries and can afford them. I just can't afford them very often. So I can splurge and buy one or two here and there. If I buy GS Orchestra, it comes with enough libraries to keep me busy for a while. I think at least.

As far as the drivers question, I have no idea. Is there a better sound card I should be using that doesn't burn a hole in my pocket?

Stay away from Soundblaster. If you can, the LEAST you should get is an M-Audio Audiophile 24/96. I see them everywhere for $99 and under. They have great driver support and come with GSIF2 drivers.

Regards,
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by crna59
    Stay away from Soundblaster. If you can, the LEAST you should get is an M-Audio Audiophile 24/96. I see them everywhere for $99 and under. They have great driver support and come with GSIF2 drivers.

Regards,
    Bruce
    Thank you for the tip. Any little bit helps in my quest.

Just out of curiousity, are there any better sound cards than the M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 that go for under $200 that mesh well with GS? I don't want to salvage too much especially on a crucial thing like a sound card.

The only thing I would say about your proposed system (apart from the soundcard issue which has already been addressed), is that you are rather on the low side for RAM... In sampling you can never have too much ram, and 512mb is really the bare minimum at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by jc5
    The only thing I would say about your proposed system (apart from the soundcard issue which has already been addressed), is that you are rather on the low side for RAM... In sampling you can never have too much ram, and 512mb is really the bare minimum at this point.
    Yeah, I think the same. I'll be upgrading that once I get it.

You'll want 1 GB of RAM on day one. Consider 2 GB later, if you find that you want to load big templates. I've found that GS3 loads samples so quickly that I build each composition as I go. I have more flexibiilty that way. I have 1 GB and find that I run into poly limits before RAM limits these days.

Regarding sound cards, the Echo MIA-MIDI and M-Audio Audiophile 192 cards are both good step up models. They have balanced I/O, so they're cleaner than the 2496.

There are two caveats though: I had an older MIA card that worked perfectly with GS3 on my Athlon system, but it didn't work at all when I moved to an Athlon 64 with the VIA chipset. (This had nothing to do with GS3. My Asus A8V-Deluxe would blue screen as soon as the audio drivers loaded.) I'm now running the Audiophile 192 with Giga. It was just recently discovered and confirmed that their GSIF driver for the S/PDIF output is non-functional. If you're only using the analog outputs, then it's no big deal, and will hopefully be fixed with the next driver release.

Overall, I'd choose the MIA. You can render four stereo outputs to wave at a time with the MIA (it has four virtual outputs), while you can only render two at a time with the AP192. Also, when I shut down the PC with the MIA it would turn off quietly. With the AP192 the shutdown isn't graceful. It makes a rotten noise if my monitors are still on.

I'm not chucking out the AP192 though. It's working fine for me. But I would have preferred it if my A8V-Deluxe had played well with the MIA and I could have kept running it. As it is, my kids have a very nice soundcard in their computer.

-JF

FWIW, I have tried GS3 on a computer with an Audigy.
    The Creative drivers don't include GSIF (naturally), but by installing KXProject drivers, you get usable GSIF 1.7 drivers, which seem to work fine.
    That is what you call GS on a budget!

But for best results a proper soundcard (ie. one which doesn't internally resample) with GSIF 2 drivers is required.
    The audiophile cards and the Mia have already been mentioned.

In the below $200 range, ESI's @Julia is also a contender.
    If you can use Firewire, jrrshop.com is currently throwing away M-Audio Firewire audiophiles for $129!
    You really want the GSIF2 drivers due to decreased latency if playing live, but if just sequencing or recording, latency doesn't matter, i guess.

Unfortunately, the E-mu cards the 0404 and 1212m are not contenders since E-Mu does not intend to release GSIF drivers.
    Reason for this is, ProteusX and the EmulatorX software is intended to compete with GigaStudio. Fat chance of that!

Go Back to forum