Just when things were going well... I was experiencing problems copying large files, so I had the dreaded task of installing a new system drive. Fresh drive, fresh install of XP and Cubase... all fine - fresh Giga, I think not. It says it's installed properly and then crashes directly to black screen before I can register. I have had an error message about a corrupt 'cryp 32 dll'. I've never seen anything crash my computer so efficiently - at least it does something better than any other program! So, I'm putting it out there as Tascam support is constantly swamped and I can't afford the long distance bills. So far, I've tried uninstalling, gigacleaning and registry sweeping before reinstalling with the same results. Any suggestions or condolences are welcome.
I'm pretty certain that the file, cryp32.dll got corrupted when copied from the installation DVD. As Martin recommended, you can try a new installation.
I had a similar problem when installing Sonar. For some reason my optical drive didn't like the installation disk. What I did was copy all of the files from the Sonar CD using another computer. I then moved the files across the network and installed from that directory.
You can buy disc drive cleaners - they're CDs with brushes on them that clean the laser. That can help.
But almost certainly, the data got corrupted someplace between your DVD drive and your hard drive.
Thanks for the suggestions... I neglected to mention that since I had the computer open to put in a new system drive, I also put in a new DVD-RW. I'll try blitzing everything again and installing it from another machine across my network. I'm getting a little squeamish as each time Giga crashes XP has to repair tons of files on the sys drive. I was wondering, do you think that my 'g3licencebackup' could mess things up since I've changed the system drive, the gigs storage drive and a new dvd-rw?
I was wondering, do you think that my 'g3licencebackup' could mess things up since I've changed the system drive, the gigs storage drive and a new dvd-rw?
cheers, Mark TS
That IS possible. There has to be some type of limit in terms of what computer components can be changed in any "challenge/response" copy protection system.
It is very possible that the "g3 license" backup (the authorization) is based on a "fingerprint" that may include:
- manufacturer/model of your hard drive
- manufacturer/model of your optical drive
I would suggest you:
- reformat the hard drive
- reinstall everything
- try to get a NEW authorization code
[you might call Tascam, explain your situation, and ask them "how many system components can be changed" before the license backup fails]
Alternatively, you might be able to simply uninstall/reinstall GS3 if you get a NEW authorization code
OK, so I've managed to resurrect Giga with a 2nd reformat/reinstall. I'm not sure if my g3licensebackup worked or not because the procedure was the same as when I registered the first time. Thanks guys for your help!