• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Laptop USB 1 Soundcard

Share/Bookmark

Laptop USB 1 Soundcard

I'm in the market for a soundcard...the Edirol UA-20 Audio Capture USB Audio/MIDI Interface. My questions: has anyone seen any problems with the Edirol (it's USB 1) or USB 1 soundcards in general?

I use Midi only...no audio recording. I would be using the Edirol on a laptop (Athlon 3700/2gig RAM...Yippee!)

Anyone forsee any problems with the Edirol/USB 1/Laptop combo?

Thanks!

Re: Laptop USB 1 Soundcard

Quote Originally Posted by imagegod
    I'm in the market for a soundcard...the Edirol UA-20 Audio Capture USB Audio/MIDI Interface. My questions: has anyone seen any problems with the Edirol (it's USB 1) or USB 1 soundcards in general?

I use Midi only...no audio recording. I would be using the Edirol on a laptop (Athlon 3700/2gig RAM...Yippee!)

Anyone forsee any problems with the Edirol/USB 1/Laptop combo?

Thanks!
    I don't see why it would - Edirol makes some fine audio / midi interfaces.

Not much experience in this though - so hopefully you'll get a more informed answer.
    I am kinda interested in this as well - hoping to find a better soundcard for my laptop setup - allowing to to bear some of the load my cpu has to handle all the time with my internal soundcard. (apple)

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W.
    hoping to find a better soundcard for my laptop setup - allowing to to bear some of the load my cpu has to handle all the time with my internal soundcard.
    Edirol and M-Audio both make better external sound cards than the UA-20...in fact, I plan on buying M-Audio's firewire 'Audiophile'. The only reason I'm curious about the '20', is that I'd like a cheap external soundcard that I'm not worried about trashing...I'd be taking it back and forth on the subway and don't want a $300+ soundcard to get broke.

Mostly, my question is about USB 1...will I have any problems specifically with that configuration of soundcard/laptop/GPO?

Thanks!

Edirol and M-Audio both make better external sound cards than the UA-20...in fact, I plan on buying M-Audio's firewire 'Audiophile'. The only reason I'm curious about the '20', is that I'd like a cheap external soundcard that I'm not worried about trashing...I'd be taking it back and forth on the subway and don't want a $300+ soundcard to get broke.

Mostly, my question is about USB 1...will I have any problems specifically with that configuration of soundcard/laptop/GPO?

Thanks!
    No probs here with Steinberg MI2 soundcard (which is USB1) and Toshiba Satellite. But then, I can´t compare to other cards, as this is my first one.

Quote Originally Posted by efreitag
    No probs here with Steinberg MI2 soundcard (which is USB1) and Toshiba Satellite. But then, I can´t compare to other cards, as this is my first one.
    No, that's useful. Thanks so much! USB1 cards are supposed to be a good value, but without any experience, you never know.

So can I assume all your GPO audio plays without any click/pops/glitches?

Thanks again!

I bought an Edirol UA-25 the other day for a bit of concert recording this coming easter. Its a brilliant little box with a very decent stereo image and clear sound. Most of the time I use a couple of Amek's run into my Delta 1010s for recording but the UA-25 is now my portable buddy number 1!. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Its better than its predecessor, the UA-20, and very nicely priced and there haven't been any USB1 recording issues to report. The preamps are very nice - neutral and uncoloured - and although I intend to use it with my 1202 VLZ pro, I'd happily use them for recording.

Its worth looking into.
    Trev Parks

Quote Originally Posted by T Parks
    I bought an Edirol UA-25 the other day...the UA-25 is now my portable buddy number 1!. I can't recommend it highly enough.Its worth looking into.
    Thanks so much! I looked at the UA-25 but its better than I want at this point. (I'm buying an M-Audio Firewire for my home computer). But USB1 issues concerned me...with your replies, it looked like I'm just about ready to buy!

Thanks all!

Thanks so much! I looked at the UA-25 but its better than I want at this point. (I'm buying an M-Audio Firewire for my home computer). But USB1 issues concerned me...with your replies, it looked like I'm just about ready to buy!

Thanks all!
    Imagegod,

This may sound like a dumb question, but does this sound card you are getting share demands made by music apps like sequencers and GPO with the CPU? Will it help make it so there are lower CPU spikes when working with stuff? If so, I think I might try getting one to. That, and adding more Ram, would be the cheapest solutions for getting better results with my system.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

The only downsides of a USB1 soundcard occur because

1) it has limited bandwidth
    2) it shares that bandwidth with any other USB devices

This won't trouble anyone working with just midi and maybe even 6-8 16bit/44.1khz audio tracks, but beyond that things would start to fall apart.

However, as you said, you are only going for midi, so should have no probs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W.
    Imagegod,This may sound like a dumb question, but does this sound card you are getting share demands made by music apps like sequencers and GPO with the CPU? Will it help make it so there are lower CPU spikes when working with stuff? If so, I think I might try getting one to. That, and adding more Ram, would be the cheapest solutions for getting better results with my system. Jerry
    That's a good question...I'm not sure. My guess is that they're 'CPU equivilant', but that's just a wild guess.
    Man, I wish you'd win the lottery or something...you could use a new computer for sure!

Go Back to forum