• Register
  • Help

Topic: First testdrive from a layperson

First testdrive from a layperson

I don't have any education at all in music, or much else as I went to the school of hard knocks (A triditional school for many poor americans) My dad always said I had a good ear and bought me a lawrey one finger play organ when I was about 15. Since my oldest daughter has decided to be a music teacher I have been to many concerts and I am facinated by orchastra music so I bought GPO in a box. Staring at the blank screen without a clue as to where to start I picked up an old CD soundtrack of beauty and the beast. It was 11:00pm when I started and I finshed around 5:00am

I ended up with 11 instruments and I suppose I should have 25 or so, seems the low end needs more beef. I tried to use the information I have read so far on using modulation and velocity. I am confused though on these cc16 and such controllers I see people using because I don't seem to have a cc16 controller in the drop down list. After reading the teaching pdf on french horns I realize I only used one horn. It would be cool if someone could post a midi file of what you would do with 2 french horns in this piece, I tried a second one but I cant find any notes that seem to fit other than the ones the first horn is playing.

Re: First testdrive from a layperson

Very nice.

You have achieved more in your first demo than many do (me included).

Get ready for some more late nights as you wil get hooked on GPO.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Orcas Island

Welcome to the GPO Community ! For a first attempt and no musical traing, this is very good. You have a natural talent that could be developed into something extraordinary.

I really liked your piece (although too short ). As far as the controllers, they take a little getting used to, but once you get the hang of it you'll wonder you would do it any other way.

Thanks for posting this and looking forward to hearing more of your work.

Gary Garritan

O my gosh, at first I was happy to read your post but...

I thought I made it very clear that this music is from Beauty and the Beast (A TV mini series that played many years agoon CBS. Produced and directed by Artie Ripp and Ron Koslow

What I did was:
    I Listened to the music
    I listened for each instrument and selected what I thought it was
    I used the keyboard to play the notes for each piece (11 instruments total)

I did not create the piece, I just copied what I heard
    My goal was to see if I could use my own hand and your software to sound like the original.

Sorry if I misled anyone, I only played,and selected the instruments.

New York City

No worries, mate. We understood what you meant. So this is from the TV series with Ron Perlman and Linda Hamilton? It's very pretty. You're already getting a sense of the dynamics using the mod wheel (which is more than I can say for myself :P).

I'd love to hear more of this.

- Michael
    - Michael Fortunato

Go Back to forum