• Register
  • Help

Topic: Yet another "Is this computer good enough?" thread

Share/Bookmark

Yet another "Is this computer good enough?" thread

Howdy. I was wondering what sort of performance I might expect from GPO on my main work computer:

12" PowerBook, G4 1.33GHz
    1.25 GB RAM

Of course, having heard all the various demos, and followed the Composer Academy threads, you could say, "you'll only get one note at a time, and only from the glockenspiel at that" and I'd still buy it, at this point.

Thanks.

Re: Yet another "Is this computer good enough?" thread

Quote Originally Posted by ZachBG
    Howdy. I was wondering what sort of performance I might expect from GPO on my main work computer:

12" PowerBook, G4 1.33GHz
    1.25 GB RAM

Of course, having heard all the various demos, and followed the Composer Academy threads, you could say, "you'll only get one note at a time, and only from the glockenspiel at that" and I'd still buy it, at this point.

Thanks.
    Zach,

It's hard to estimate as performance can depend on many factors. If I were to guess, you should get at least a dozen tracks with your configuration. Perhaps others with similar Macs could comment on the performance they are getting.

Gary Garritan

Hey Zach, it depends on which instruments you choose as to how many you will get. There is also the option of using the free multi-track recording software called Audacity and put the bigger scores together in parts. I use a 12" Powerbook 867mhz G4 sometimes, but now mostly for the smaller scores. I have gotten it to play a full Chamber orchestra, but it has issues when all of the parts play at the same time. I do all of my chamber music on my laptop and it plays beautifully. There is also the trick of lowering the polyphony and sample rate so you can hear what you are writing with bigger scores. You should be able to get a decent medium sized ensemble out of GPO on that Mac. I wish I could get that much RAM in my Powerbook. I have seen 1 GB chips that claim to work, but Apple says my max is 640 MB. Hmmm
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I do need to clear enough space off my HD for the library, though. (OT--Jess, I'm almost positive those chips will work with your machine. I've upgraded both my old and new iMacs past Apple's specs, and they've worked beautifully.)

Go Back to forum