• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: ???Question about GS3???

Share/Bookmark

Question ???Question about GS3???

Hey, everyone!

I haven't purchased GS3 yet, but hope to within the next year or so. (I REALLY need A LOT of time to think things over before I spend any money )
    I was reading the downloadable manuel for how to create instruments. This is called, as I learned, the "Instrument Editor" I think. It doesn't say anything about controlls that digitally modify the sound, like adding viberato to a NV instrument. (this is orchestral stuff we're talking about here) Is there a way I can make the mod wheel control viberato by slightly pitch bending the NV sample?
    Just a yes or no would suffice. Knowing how to do it wouldn't help me here. I haven't purchased the software yet!!!

Also, what exactly is a 'dimension'? It says in the manuel that there is a limit of 127 of them. Does that mean that I can only have 127 different samples per region or that I can only have 127 different controls per region?

Thanks for y'all's time!

Chris

Re: ???Question about GS3???

Yes.

Dimensions: controllable alternatives, via mod wheel, midi control message, note velocity, key on, key off, etc.

To go into more detail...

Let's start off with a single stereo sample. That's two dimensions. Let's go with four velocity layers. Now we have eight dimensions. Let's say you use the mod wheel to crossfade between the first sample set and a second. Now you have sixteen. Now let's say you have four keyswitches, so you can select between slow-attack sustain, fast-attack sustain, marcato or staccato. Now you're up to 64 dimensions (2x4x2x4 = 64). We have one more split available. Okay, let's redo the whole thing with eight velocity layers. We've now hit the ceiling. (2x8x2x4 = 128 - or zero through 127.)

The dimensions are really the number of individual mono samples that you can have related to a single key on the keyboard for a given instrument. For GS2.5 the limit was 32.

-JF

OK, I gets it now!
    But what about digitally modifying sounds?

Chris

Let's say you automate a parameter of downstream EQ or GigaPulse. That doesn't change the sample-side of things, so there are no additional dimensions required for that kind of process. Dimensions just concern the number of concurrent samples that need to be ready when you play a note.

-JF

But what parameters can you change with GS3? Can I turn a non-viberato instrument into a viberato instrument with viberato controled by the mod wheel? Can I have one control control the viberato speed and one the depth all derived from one sample?
    Like I've said before, I'm not familiar with GS vocabulary, so if this isn't making scence, just let me know and I'll try to rephrase all of this.

Thanks for your help!

Chris

Regarding vibrato there are three paths...

1) Apply the LFO (low frequency oscillator) to the frequency control to modulate the pitch. This has a very synthy sound, but it has its place. This takes no extra dimensions.

2) Use a control to blend between non vibrato and vibrato samples. This requires more dimensions. It works okay for ensemble instruments, but fails for solo instruments. Instead of one violin slowly adding more vibrato, you mix between two violins - one with and one without vibrato.

3) Use an advanced algorithm, such as Gary Garritan's Sonic Morphing that will soon be released with his solo violin. GS3 doesn't include any such features, but this stuff is very new to the industry. (Use the LFO approach for solo instruments in Giga, if you need control. Otherwise use a sample that has escalating vibrato built into the recording.)

-JF

gotcha!

FWIW, I think the limit of 128 dimensions is archaic.
    It is the only limit imposed by GS3 that I bump up against when programming/mapping samples.

I can't understand why Tascam didn't make it something more useful like 65536 or even 2^32, considering the cheapness of large HDs.

Quote Originally Posted by meroveus
    FWIW, I think the limit of 128 dimensions is archaic.
    It is the only limit imposed by GS3 that I bump up against when programming/mapping samples.

I can't understand why Tascam didn't make it something more useful like 65536 or even 2^32, considering the cheapness of large HDs.
    It's not only the cost of the drive, it's the cost of the memory ($, power, etc.) to cache the initial samples. 65536 dimensions would be quite a few versions of middle C to have sitting around in memory... ;-)

That said I fundamentally agree with you. Why not make the file format support it and leave it to you developers to figure out how many you can really make work.

- Mark

Go Back to forum