• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Cirque Du Soleil KA

Share/Bookmark

Cirque Du Soleil KA

I went and saw KA last night in Vegas - what a technical triumph it is!! If you really want to see what you can do with half a billion dollars (that's with a "b") including the theatre construction, this is a good example.

I'm not going to blow it for those that intend seeing the show, but Nick and I feel particularly proud that at least 75% of the music was produced by Rene Dupere using our Virtual Instruments - Symphonic Orchestra (in beautiful surround sound), Stormdrum all over the place, Percussive Adventures 2, Bosendorfer, Rare Instruments etc. etc. - it was an EW/QL tour de force.

However, I was thinking afterwards how much we actually contributed to that show, and we didn't even get a credit in a page full of over 100 credits, not that they had any obligation to do so. This is a strange business we are in!

The specially designed theatre has 5000! speakers. 2000 of them are in every seat. All sounds are directed to 150 positions in the theatre. Rene and Martin (Creations Netza), who composed the music spent months placing the sounds in the theatre so they appeared where the performers were, or behind your head, whatever was appropriate.

The bar has been raised on threatrical production. You have to see this one!!

- Doug

Re: Cirque Du Soleil KA

Congratulations, Doug.

My guess is that the reason they didn't credit the libs is that it simply didn't occur to them. VSL's license requires credit on albums (but not films), Eric asks for it politely ("it would be cool if"), etc.

I don't think it's unreasonable to insist on credit in this kind of situation; it's no skin off anybody's teeth, after all.

they dont' even put game composers on the front page of games Japan and the US. Maybe that will change someday...Maybe when I am writing music for some major game I'll go hey put me on the cover!

Thanks Doug for sharing this. It feels great to a part of the future of music. Congratulations to your team!

Sean Beeson

The specially designed theatre has 5000! speakers. 2000 of them are in every seat. All sounds are directed to 150 positions in the theatre.
    This is awesome !...

The idea of having the sound come from so many places is intriguing
    This is the less we can say !...

I’m realy curious about the audio system they use to mix and play this...

Doug, I'm really curious - most of the Cirque productions I've seen (O, Zumanity, Mystere, Cavalia) had lots of live musicians. Is this different, are they going to prerecorded soundtracks? That would be a shame; as much as I can say congratulations for their using your libs, I want to see the musicians-they can use computers and play the sounds live, just like most of us, but I want them to be doing it in real time...
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

I think that musicians and composers are often the last to be credited. Certainly in the days when I was primarily an orchestrator I never expected a credit, and when it happened it was usually after 3rd caterer! The other thing to remember, is that even though a composer may give a list of credits to a producer, there is no guarantee that they will be adhered to.

Daryl

Quote Originally Posted by Sharmy
    Interesting thread. The idea of having the sound come from so many places is intriguing. As far as credits to libraries I am sure you are proud and have every reason to be, but the libs really are instruments, like a guitar or Roland Keyboard, Stadivarious etc and no one has ever credited those instruments in a production. Of course no company has probably placed so many sounds in a production, as most Vegas shows used to use live players and only began phasing out players slowly about 20 years back (I know I was there). It is unlikely any sample company can pull off a production show like this as well as EW.
    Yes, you are right so far as our virtual instruments our concerned - but this show heavily relied on Stormdrum's "loops" which are really compositions. It had a little bit of a LOTR feel and Stormdrum gave it the right dynamic for this type of show.

Also, the live use our Symphonic Orchestra must be a significant savings for them, even with the amount they spent on the theatre and show - $500 million (which I doubt they will ever recover, it's simply a hook to bring 4000 people into the MGM Grand every night).

It was just interesting, that given an almost unlimited budget, they chose our samples to produce 75% of the show - that's a pretty significant development, and really demonstrates what progress has been made in our industry. Also, we have to thank some of you forum members, who showed them this could be done with the quality of demos you have posted here.

- Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl
    I think that musicians and composers are often the last to be credited. Certainly in the days when I was primarily an orchestrator I never expected a credit, and when it happened it was usually after 3rd caterer! The other thing to remember, is that even though a composer may give a list of credits to a producer, there is no guarantee that they will be adhered to.

Daryl
    Yes, you are right Daryl, the massage therapist was credited in the program!

- Doug

Go Back to forum