• Register
  • Help

Topic: Realsamples cello and violin?

Share/Bookmark

Realsamples cello and violin?

I have noticed these inexpensive libraries, and was wondering if anyone has them and can give a user's opinion? (perhaps even an audio sample in which you used them).
    The site's demos are extremely uninformative, but it sounds like an impressive lib from the description.
    I did a forum search about them, and read the past threads (including the one about FireGS's Bach rendition), but did not see any ultimate conclusions about the quality of these libraries.
    Anyone?

It never hurts to have a few more good solo strings.

Re: Realsamples cello and violin?

Samples are way out of tune. I worked to bring them in. Useful but only with hours of tweeking.

clueless

I own a number of RealSamples libraries which I bought as a bundle (basses, guitars and violin). Can’t say I’ve used them much. The philosophy of the developer is to provide huge numbers of velocity layers (the violin has 32) but the instruments are a bit short on articulations. They come with “economy patches” which load a smaller number of velocity layers and tbh I don’t hear much of a difference. I would have preferred more articulations at the expense of some velocity layers - as it is I feel all these velocity layers take up a large amount of hard disk space without any real benefit to the sound.

The samples themselves are good (though I’ve also run into some tuning problems, I think it was the violin) and the prices are hard to beat.

/Yoss

i have electric bass and drums
    the bass is good, but you have to run through some FX to get a proper sound. but the variety of notes you can get is great, and bass lines can become very real
    of the drums, i use only kik and snare, 100 velocity layer for each! and again, the realism is great

about cello, i don't own it, but i know that the samples are NOT looped. for someone it may be a problem

Hmm... thanks to everyone for your views. How bad is the tuning problem? Can the samples be used as is at all, or is it an absolute must to get in there and fix it? Also, just how playable are the samples? There are only the two articulations - sustain and pizzicato... how smoothly does the sustain flow? Can a good legato line be gotten from it?
    To those who own the libs (violin and cello), do you use them frequently or are they just gathering dust now?

Thanks again for your input.

without going into great details, I'll tell you this... don't get the violin or cello samples... Anything you presently have is going to be better... And I don't know what you have...

Quote Originally Posted by tradivoro
    without going into great details, I'll tell you this... don't get the violin or cello samples... Anything you presently have is going to be better... And I don't know what you have...
    Let me just say "Ouch" on behalf of the Realsample people.

Thanks for chiming in. I think I will pass... even if what is there did happen to be good, the lack of articulations is limiting enough in itself. (And if you do happen to get in the mood for getting into details, I am always curious )

I have to agree: The Cello samples do not sound like a Cello to me. They are not looped and end in a very strang noise that does not sound very natural. Overall, I did only use them for weird effected sounds (actually because I could not justify NOT to use them after I bougth them).

However, some of their other stuff is quite good. I like their electric bass, which has a nice sound. It has to be sent through effects, though, because the samples are not processed in any way.

But I have to agree with the velocity layering argumentation here - it doesn't make an awful lot of sense, because most of the layers sound exactly the same to my ears...

Quote Originally Posted by jc5
    Let me just say "Ouch" on behalf of the Realsample people.

Thanks for chiming in. I think I will pass... even if what is there did happen to be good, the lack of articulations is limiting enough in itself. (And if you do happen to get in the mood for getting into details, I am always curious )
    There are wheels within wheels... If I tell that story, then we have to tell another story...

Go Back to forum